Table of Illustrations
[To search all databases, click here]
Table of Contents

Title Page
Author's Preface
1 The Road through Richmond Hill
2 First Peoples on the Land
3 The European Settlers Arrive
4 From Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill: The Birth of a Community
5 Tories and Reformers
6 Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
7 The Neighbours at Mid-Century
8 Fire Brigades and Fence Viewers
9 Picture Post Card Village of the 1880s and 1890s
10 Rails through Richmond Hill
11 The Flowering of Richmond Hill
12 The Village Transformed
Table of Illustrations
1 Cutting out Yonge Street. C.W. Jefferys, The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, Ryerson Press
2 The Yonge Street cairn, at the entrance to the Summit Golf Club, on the east side of the highway about halfway between 19th Avenue and Stouffville Road. Roger Carlsen
3 John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant- Governor of Upper Canada, from a 1791 painting by Jean Laurent Mosnier. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
4 The Line of Yonge Street, showing the various routes between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe used during the 1790s. F.R. Berchem, The Yonge Street Story, McGraw-Hill Ryerson
5 Sir George Yonge, British Secretary of War, from a 1790 painting by Edmund Scott. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
6 William Berczy, leader of the Berczy settlement in Markham Township and early builder of Yonge Street. John Andre, William Berczy, Co-Founder of Toronto, Corporation of the Borough of York
7 Augustus Jones, Deputy Provincial Surveyor, who made the first survey of Yonge Street in 1794. Association of Ontario Land Surveyors
8 Part of a pallisaded Huron-Iroquois village. C.W. Jefferys, The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, Ryerson Press
9 Physiography of Richmond Hill, showing the Oak Ridges Moraine (1), South Slope (2), and Peel Plain (3) regions. Archaeological Services Inc.
10 Soils of Richmond Hill. Archaeological Services Inc.
11 A nearly completed reconstructed ceramic vessel from the Lake Wilcox site. Archaeological Services Inc.
12 Iroquoian pottery sherds and lithics, Lake Wilcox site. Archaeological Services Inc.
13 Iroquoian pottery sherds and lithics from the Orion and Watford sites. Archaeological Services Inc.
14 A. J. Clark's 1928 map of the Boyle-Atkinson Site.
15 Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea), 1743-1807. Archives of Ontario
16 Pioneer log home in the Richmond Hill area.
17 "The Founding of Richmond Hill." Unveiling of an historical plaque in front of the town hall on Yonge Street, June 18, 1973. Pictured left to right are councillors David Stephenson and Louis Wainwright; regional councillor Gordon Rowe; councillors André Châteauvert and Graeme Bales; mayor William Lazenby; councillors Charles Stewart and William Corcoran; William Ormsby of the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario; Patricia Hart, chief librarian and local historian; Russell Lynett, retiring town clerk; William Neal, first mayor of the Town of Richmond Hill; Robert Warner, chairman of the Centennial Committee; Garfield Wright, chairman of the Regional Municipality of York; Reverend Earl Gerber of St. John's Anglican Church, Jefferson; and regional councillor Lois Hancey."
18 Nineteenth-century home of Balsar and Katharine Munshaw at the southeast corner of present-day Yonge Street and Highway 7.
20 Land settlement from Lake Ontario to Newmarket along Yonge Street and to the east and west in Markham, Whitchurch, Vaughan, and King townships. The York Pioneer (Leo A. Johnson)
21 Duties to be performed by Yonge Street settlers in 1798. Archives of Ontario
22 Log house construction. C.W. Jefferys, The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, Ryerson Press
23 Survey party laying out lots along the back concessions of early Upper Canada. C.W. Jefferys, The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, Ryerson Press
24 Joseph-Geneviève, Comte de Puisaye, leader of the de Puisaye settlement at Windham. Ontario Historical Society
25 Michel Saigeon's tombstone at Temperanceville
26 Laurent Quetton St. George, successful entrepreneur among the de Puisaye settlers, from an 1815 oil painting. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
27 Henry St. George, aristocratic owner of "Glen Lonely" estate until his death in 1896.
28 Indenture between Henry St. George and John Brown, October 18, 1879.
29 " Glen Lonely" as it appeared in the 1960s.
30 Home built by James Miles (son of Abner Miles) at the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Major Mackenzie Drive, as it looked in 1885. The home was occupied for many years by Miles' nephew James Playter Jr., and later by the Boyle family.
31 Tombstone of Abner Miles, Richmond Hill Presbyterian Cemetery.
33 Burr House, built by Rowland Burr on Carrville Road in the 1820s. The Richmond Hill Historical Society leases Burr House from the Town of Richmond Hill and, together with the Burr House Spinners and Weavers and the Hill Potters Guild, operates the Burr House Craft Gallery. Members of the Woods family, later owners, appear in the picture.
34 General Isaac Brock. Archives of Ontario
35 Reverend William Jenkins, Presbyterian minister at Richmond Hill from 1817 to 1843, as drawn by A.J. Clark from an old portrait. Ontario Historical Society
36 Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church, erected in 1821.
37 Excerpt from William Jenkins' marriage register. Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church / Photo by Mary-Lou Griffin
38 Excerpt from Jenkins' marriage register: Index to medicines. Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church / Photo by Mary-Lou Griffin
39 The Duke of Richmond, as depicted by a cartoonist. National Archives of Canada, C-94671
40 Cairn marking the death of the Duke of Richmond at Richmond, Ontario. National Archives of Canada, C 8998
41 Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond, Governor General of Canada. His visit to the community in 1819 may have inspired the change of name from Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill. National Archives of Canada, C-8997
42 Richmond Hill's first schoolhouse.
43 Benjamin Barnard, first school teacher in Richmond Hill; tombstone in Richmond Hill Cemetery. Photo by Mary-Lou Griffin
44 "The Lass of Richmond Hill," from W. Chappell's Old English Ditties, transcribed by Richard Lloyd.
46 Surveyor John Stegman, whose daughter Lizzette spurned the advances of the Comte de Puisaye, but whose other daughter Marie married schoolteacher Benjamin Barnard. Association of Ontario Land Surveyors
47 Marion Smith Graham in front of the old Colonel Moodie home on Lot 49 East, Yonge Street
49 Edward O'Brien, leading member of the York County Tory aristocracy in the years before the Rebellion of 1837. Audrey Saunders Miller, The Journals of Mary O'Brien, 1828-1838, Macmillan
50 Mary Gapper O'Brien, chronicler of Yonge Street life in the late 1820s and early 1830s. Audrey Saunders Miller, The Journals of Mary O'Brien, 1828-1838, Macmillan
51 Home built by Richard Gapper on the east side of Yonge Street near today's 16th Avenue, later occupied by the William Duncan family.
52 Edward and Mary O'Brien's home in Vaughan Township, as it appeared in 1968.
53 "Rebels" marching down Yonge Street to attack Toronto in December 1837. C.W. Jefferys, The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, Ryerson Press
54 An early-twentieth-century photograph of the home of Robert and Frances Moodie, Lot 49 East, on Yonge Street, a rallying point for Richmond Hill loyalists on December 4, 1837. National Archives of Canada PA 26871
55 Moodie plaque on the east side of Yonge Street, opposite Levendale. Photo by Mary-Lou Griffin
56 David Bridgeford, veteran of the War of 1812 and prominent member of the Richmond Hill community, who accompanied Colonel Robert Moodie on his ride down Yonge Street in the evening of December 4, 1837.
57 The first casualty of the 1837 Rebellion - the shooting of Colonel Robert Moodie outside Montgomery's Tavern on December 4, 1837, from a pen and ink drawing by C.W. Jefferys. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
58 William Lyon Mackenzie. Archives of Ontario
60 Highland Cottage, 86 Major Mackenzie Drive, dating from the 1840s.
61 Tomb of Colonel Moodie in Trinity churchyard, Thornhill. A.J. Clark
62 Part of a deed for Lot 51 West (the Vaughan Township side of Yonge Street), from Aaron Munshaw to James Newton, May 6, 1837."
63 Observatory House on Observatory Lane, pictured in 1933. Robert and Sara (Bridgeford) Marsh built the older section of the house in the 1840s. A later addition was erected by their grandson Alexander in 1866.
64 Harness racing action at the annual Richmond Hill Spring Fair.
66 A typical village house built in the 1850s, located at 111 Richmond Street.
67 The Fulton/Vanderburgh House at 32 Hillsview Avenue, dating from the 1840s.
68 Examples of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century dinnerware, found on the Fulton/Vanderburgh Site. Archaeological Services Inc.
69 Examples of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century dinnerware, found on the Fulton/Vanderburgh Site. Archaeological Services Inc.
75 Richmond Hill Methodist Church, dedicated on July 1, 1849.
76 Reverend James Dick, minister of the Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church, 1847-1877.
77 Notice for a temperance lecture at the Richmond Hill Roman Catholic Church in April 1859.
78 Richmond Hill Public School, opened in 1847, pictured in a 1908 photograph.
79 Record of the founding of the Richmond Hill Band in 1853.
80 Calling card of Thomas Kinnear, victim of Richmond Hill's most celebrated murder case in July 1843.
81 Waiting for the stagecoach at the Dominion House (formerly Dalby's Tavern), a mainstay of Richmond Hill's nineteenth-century hospitality industry. The Dominion House was located on the east side of Yonge Street, south of the Trench Carriage Works.
82 Team of horses and wagon at the Langstaff Toll-gate, today's Yonge Street and Highway 7 intersection. For many years this toll-gate was operated by Henry Richards and his son Henry, Jr.
83 Locomotive "Toronto" of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway (or Railroad), which inaugurated steam railway service in Upper Canada on May 16, 1853. But the OS&H; ran its line six kilometres to the west of Richmond Hill, bypassing the village and disrupting the Yonge Street stagecoach business. Farquharson
84 Stagecoach connections between Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Kleinburg, and the new OS&H station at present-day Maple.
85 Palmer's "Bus Line" ran stagecoaches between Richmond Hill and Toronto in 1876, despite competition from the Northern Railway.
86 John Thompson's Richmond Hill-to-Toronto stagecoach, 1880-1896.
87 The Naughton Brothers, Michael and John, operated their general store on the southwest corner at Elgin Mills from around 1870 to 1919. The Post Office was housed in the store from 1900 onwards.
88 Richmond Hill and vicinty, 1860. Mary-Lou Griffin, Richmond Hill Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee
89 John Langstaff, who gave his name to the settlement of Langstaff or Langstaff Corners, and whose son, grandson, and great-grandson dispensed medicine in Richmond Hill from 1849 to 1973.
90 Cook's Hotel, on the northwest corner of the Yonge Street/ Highway 7 intersection, from a pen and ink drawing attributed to Bernard Joseph Gloster. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
91 F. J. Woodward's blacksmith shop at Elgin Mills, with the Glass butcher wagon on the right.
92 Yonge Street, looking north from Elgin Mills Road, in the 1920s.
93 The New Elgin Hotel at Elgin Mills
94 Newton Tanning Company at Elgin Mills. Located on the sideroad west of Yonge Street behind the blacksmith shop on the northwest corner. It was a major employer of Richmond Hill labour in the later decades of the nineteenth century.
95 Employees of the Newton Tanning Company in 1898. Back row, left to right, are: --, N. Garness,, Geo Sims, Sr., S. Kirkland, Bertram Newton, --, - Garbutt, --, George Hopper, and Tom Newton. Front row: Dave Mckenzie, --, J Brydon, A. Hamilton, --, F. Dolen, --, Andrew Newton, C. Skeele, W. Naughton, --, --, --, J. Naughton, and N. Naughton. Sitting: L. McLeod, F. Grainger.
96 Memorial card of James Newton, 1892.
97 St. John's Anglican Church, Jefferson.
98 Pupils of Jefferson Public School.
99 Bond Lake Hotel and stables.
100 Poster for a picnic at Bond Lake
101 The Routledge family of Oak Ridges. Pictured left to right are: mail carrier C. Harper, Hettie Routledge, Marsh Routledge on the grass, Charlie Routledge, Emma (Mrs. Peter) Routledge, Lucy Routledge, Peter Routledge, John on the grass, Mary Jane Routledge (Peter's sister), and Watson on the grass. Peter Routledge was appointed postmaster at Oak Ridges in 1889, and ran the mail operation from his home.
102 Routledge's blacksmith shop at Oak Ridges, with Walter Mortson in front.
103 Drynoch, the residence of Captain Martin Macleod, west of Yonge Street and north of Jefferson Sideroad. Macleod built the home in 1846, named it after his home estate in Scotland, and made it the headquarters of his vast 600-acre (about 240-hectare) Canadian farming operation. One of his sons, Colonel James Macleod, achieved fame with the North-West Mounted Police and came to be regarded as a founding father of southern Alberta.
104 Thomas Charlesworth advertises his grist and woollen mills at Headford, July 1876.
105 Headford in 1860, adapted by Janet Allin from a map prepared by Ruth Reaman.
106 The search for oil at Klink's farm.
107 Headford Public School.
108 Headford Methodist Church, built in 1882, pictured before lightning destroyed its steeple on August 24, 1914.
109 Headford Methodist Church, built in 1882, pictured after the lightning strike.
110 Mr. and Mrs. C. Brooke on the front porch of the Dollar Post Office, July 1, 1907.
111 The ladies serve supper at T. Thompson's barn-raising, Headford, June 15, 1909.
114 Looking west along Carrville Road in the nineteenth century.
115 Joseph Grainger home on Carrville Road, west of Yonge Street, built in 1865.
116 Pupils and teacher at Patterson School, September 1898.
117 Employees in front of Archibald Wright's carriage and undertaking business on the west side of Yonge Street (present-day site of Marshall Funeral Home) sometime in the 1880s.
118 Village of Richmond Hill in 1878. Ted Chirnside, Richmond Hill Pioneers Map
119 Richmond Hill and vicinity in 1878. Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee
120 Amos Wright, first reeve of Markham Township in 1850, member of Parliament for East York from 1851-67, and chairman of the October 1857 meeting that supported the incorporation of Richmond Hill as a village. National Archives of Canada, PA 33494
121 The Amos Wright home at 19 Church Street North, built about 1840. The home is now owned by the Town of Richmond Hill and is being considered as a possible future site for the Richmond Hill Museum.
122 The call goes out for nominations for Richmond Hill's first village council.
123 Abraham Law solicits votes for reeve in Richmond Hill's first municipal election.
124 Municipal "fence viewers," a remnant of pioneer Upper Canada, were still being appointed in the newly incorporated village of Richmond Hill in 1873. C.W. Jefferys, The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, Ryerson Press
125 Abraham Law, first reeve of Richmond Hill, 1873.
126 " Richmond Villa," home of the Abraham Law family, on the northwest corner of Yonge and Richmond streets, built about 1853. Mrs. Elizabeth (Klinck) Lawis pictured on the verandah.
127 Matthew Teefy 1822-1911
128 Matthew Teefy, longtime village postmaster and secretary-treasurer, pictured with his three daughters on the front porch of the Richmond Hill Post Office.
129 William and Christina (Whelpton) Harrison. The community's first historian, William Harrison was Richmond Hill's second reeve in 1874.
130 A residence built and put up for sale in 1885 by William Harrison at 17 Elizabeth Street North.
131 Announcement of a fund-raiser for the Richmond Hill Fire Brigade on New Year's Night, 1889.
132 Parker Crosby, owner of a dry goods store destroyed in the disastrous fire of April 1866.
133 Crosby Hall, home of the Parker and Mary (Holmes) Crosby family, at 38 Bedford Park Avenue. The original frame structure of 1863 was brick-clad by their son Isaac in about 1889.
134 Following the fire, Crosby rebuilt and renamed his emporium the Fire Proof Store - known to succeeding generations of village shoppers simply as "The Fire Proof." Here the store is shown bearing the name of his son and successor, Isaac Crosby.
135 Frank Sims models a uniform worn by a volunteer with the Richmond Hill Fire Brigade, circa 1889.
136 William Trench
137 Margaret (Cook) Trench.
138 The Trench Carriage Works, Richmond Hill's largest employer during the 1870s.
139 Wagon manufactured by the Trench Carriage Works.
140 Richmond Hill Masonic Lodge building, where Miss Aiken sang "The Woodland Tree" in a February 1876 concert.
141 A sampling of business cards from Richmond Hill, 1878.
142 Bookplate and rules from the library of the Richmond Hill Mechanics' Institute.
144 Picture post card village. Photograph taken from the tower of the Presbyterian Church, circa 1900, looking north up Yonge Street, with the spire of the Methodist Church in the centre.
145 Building the Richmond Hill Methodist (later United) Church in 1880-81.
146 The completed Methodist Church, dedicated in October 1881.
147 Abraham Law's quarterly ticket (comparable to a twentieth-century communion card) for the Richmond Hill Methodist Church, 1884.
148 Choir at the dedication of a new organ at the Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church in 1915. Pictured left to right are: J.H. Dunlop, H. Rowley, L. McNair, James Stewart, A.L. Phipps, Joseph Atkinson, George Sims, Ira Ramer, W. Robinson, J. Aikenhead, W. Oliver, D. Cooper, Tom Scott, Miss E. Gordon, Miss Douglas, Dr. L. Langstaff, Mrs. E. Newton, Mrs. A.L. Phipps, Mrs. Sterling, Miss Pentland, Miss E. Mcnair, Miss M. Cooper, Miss Hammond, Miss Margaret Moodie, Mrs. R. Cooper, Miss P. Batty, Miss H. Lang, Mrs. Mckenzie, Mrs. J. Innes, Mrs. Amos Wright, Miss Heise. Three top right are Mrs. Scott, Mrs. J. Atkinson, Miss Boyle. Front row: Miss D. Mckenzie, Miss Carol Innes, Miss J. Lomas, Mrs. W. Oliver, Mrs. Simpson, Mrs. Godwin, Miss G. Prett, Mrs. Van Wart, Mrs. Allen, unknown, Miss V. Jennings, Miss L. Innes, Reverend R. Herbison, F. Converse Smith, J.E. Newton, Miss Sisman, E. Caldwell.
149 Presbyterian Church and manse, with Reverend W. Webb Percival, his wife, and son. Percival ministered to the Richmond Hill congregation from 1887 to 1894.
150 Reverend James Grant, his wife, and children Robert, Reay, and George, pictured in front of the Presbyterian manse. Grant ministered to the Richmond Hill congregation from 1894 to 1909.
151 Sparing "no pains," the ladies of the Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church promise to make an 1892 afternoon tea "equal to any of its predecessors."
152 St. Mary's Anglican Church rectory, with Mrs. H.F. Battersby on verandah. The rectory stood on the site of the later Langstaff Building.
153 Calling for tenders for a spire for St. Mary's Anglican Church, August 1881.
154 St. Mary's Anglican Church, after completion of spire.
155 St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church, original structure built in November 1857; this building erected in 1894.
156 Interior of St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church, 1894
157 Advertising the annual picnic of St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church.
159 Horse thieves in Richmond Hill?
160 Factory buildings of Patterson Brothers, manufacturers of agricultural implements, located three kilometres west of Richmond Hill, along today's Major Mackenzie Drive.
161 Peter Patterson, manufacturer, reeve of Vaughan Township 1868-71, member of the Ontario Legislature 1871-83, and president of the Richmond Hill Agricultural Society in 1884. National Archives of Canada, PA 28654
162 Mr. and Mrs. James Mahoney, their children, and grandchildren. The Mahoneys lived at the west end of Mill Street. Mr. Mahoney worked at the Patterson implement factory for $1.50 a day.
163 Advertisement for William Atkinson's "Concrete House."
164 Dr. Rolph Langstaff, with his housekeeper and her husband, on the front lawn of the Langstaff home, medical office, and village "hospital," circa 1895. The house was built in 1849, facing Yonge Street; in the twentieth century it was moved to the rear of the property, and today faces Hall Street.
165 "When My Grandpa Was Young." Nine-year-old Bruce Langstaff's 1952 school speech about his grandfather, Dr. Rolph Langstaff.
166 Front pages of Richmond Hill's two weekly newspapers on September 20, 1888.
168 Susannah Maxwell. (1805-1922). Richmond Hill's and Canada's oldest citizen at the time of her death.
170 The Young Canadians, Richmond Hill's championship lacrosse team of the 1880s. Top row, left to right: M. Wilson (field captain), F. Powell, McConaghy, J.S. S. Searle, B.R.Brown, H.A. Nicholls (umpire), Walter Wiley. Middle row: G. Derry, C. Skeele, J. Piper, C. Savage, M. Palmer. Front row: Sunny Mager, A. Pugsley, T. Young, D. Pugsley.
171 Gas street lamp in front of the Palmer family home, installed in 1892 and maintained by village lamplighter James Brownlee.
172 In 1880, village council moved its meeting room from the Robin Hood Hotel to the second floor of the new Palmer Block, pictured on the right, at the northwest corner of Yonge and Arnold streets. The fire engine house was located on the north end of this building.
173 Council acts on a ratepayers' petition and proclaims May 13, 1897, as Arbor Day.
174 Richmond Hill High School in its 1897 building at Yonge and Wright streets, later part of the municipal building of the Town of Richmond Hill.
175 Certificate showing that Gertrude Lynett passed her entrance examination in 1889 and would be allowed to proceed from public school to high school.
177 The old order passes - a credit sale of farm stock and implements at Elgin Mills in October 1894.
178 Car 71 of the Metropolitan Railway, southbound through Richmond Hill, with the Trench Carriage Works on the left or east side of Yonge Street.
179 Northbound on the Metropolitan line at Yonge Street and Major Mackenzie Drive. City of Toronto Archives
180 Boarding Metropolitan Car 56 at the Richmond Hill station, Yonge Street and Lorne Avenue.
181 Northbound on Yonge from the intersection of Arnold Crescent and Lorne Avenue.
182 Looking north from the corner of Dunlop Street, along the east side of Yonge Street, from the Richmond Hill bakery to beyond St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church.
183 Metropolitan Railway (later the Toronto and York Radial Railway Company) power house at Bond Lake.
184 Schomberg and Aurora Railway station at Oak Ridges.
185 The old Schomberg and Aurora Railway station station at Oak Ridges, pictured as a fish and chip restaurant in the 1950s. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
186 The old Metropolitan (Toronto and York) car barns at Bond Lake, pictured as a service station in the 1950s. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
187 Track map of the Metropolitan Division of the Toronto and York Radial Railway. Upper Canada Railway Society, Newsletter, March/April 1973. Photo by Roger Carlsen
188 Bond Lake Park in the 1920s, adapted by Janet Allin from a 1986 map prepared by Mary-Lou Griffin.
189 Passengers alighting from radial cars for a day of fun and recreation at Bond Lake Park, June 20, 1924. Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library
190 Entrance to Bond Lake Park.
191 "Lina, Erling, Mort and Vernon" in a rowboat on Bond Lake, circa 1905. North York Historical Board at Gibson House
192 Howard Park Methodist Church, Toronto, Sunday School Picnic at Bond Lake, 1914. Pictured are Martha Fortune Irwin, John C. W. Irwin, Archie Blakely, Agnes Larimer
193 The Richmond Hill Hardware Company welcomes the arrival of electric lighting in 1912.
194 Tea in the garden, with lace tablecloth and all. Margaret McConaghy, left, and Effie (Hollingshead) Smith.
195 Ready for a sleigh ride in 1902 at the Newbery family home, north of Elgin Mills. Pictured left to right are Jennie Newbery, Mrs. George Newbery with baby Eleanor, Maude Murphy, Katherine Newbery (Mrs. W.F. Carter), Grace Newbery (Mrs. D.H. Pinkerton), and Gertrude Murphy (Mrs. C. Kelson).
196 Tennis at the Newbery home, circa 1900. Pictured left to right are George Newbery 2nd., Grace Newbery (Mrs. D.H. Pinkerton), Oswald Newbery, Katherine Newbery (Mrs. W.F. Carter), Alex Newbery, Gertrude Murphy (Mrs. C. Kelson), and Jennie Newbery.
197 Josh Horner and his milk wagon in front of the Horner family home on Lot 20, Concession 2, Markham Township. Horner operated the first milk delivery business in the area.
198 Harry Rumble's barn raising near Richmond Hill, July 28, 1908. One of the Rumble family farms later provided the nucleus for the Richmond Heights subdivision.
199 Supper at Harry Rumble's barn raising.
200 Heritage sites in New Gormley. Richmond Hill Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee
201 The Canadian Northern (later Canadian National) Railway station at Richmond Hill.
202 First freight at the new Richmond Hill station in November 1906 - a load of coal and lumber
203 "Gormley Station from the South," showing the business and industrial centre of New Gormley early in the twentieth century. Buildings include, from left to right, blacksmith shop, David and Jacob Heise's double house, driveshed, railway station, North American Cement Block and Tile Company office (in background), and grain elevator.
204 Cober's store in New Gormley.
205 Aerial view of Richmond Hill, 1919. National Archives of Canada PA 22796
206 Radial railway station and entrance to the Park Grounds at Yonge Street and Lorne Avenue, decorated for the 1911 Old Boys Reunion.
207 Richmond Hill Old Boys Reunion of 1911.
208 Disappointed in the economic conditions, R.E. Law puts his house, lot, and furnishings up for auction in September 1905. Mr. Law is "leaving for the West."
209 James Graham and "Barney," in front of Hall's grocery and general store, southwest corner of Yonge and Centre streets, circa 1915.
210 Fixing the dam at the Mill Pond. John Sheardown is pictured centre-right, behind the wheelbarrow.
211 The P.G. Savage family of Richmond Hill, pictured in 1909. Left to right are Palmer (son of Will), Mrs. Will (Palmer) Savage, Armand with his son Peter, Susan (Mrs. Armand) Savage, Albert, William, and Mrs. Albert Savage with her son Keith. Seated are P.G. (Peter Gould) Savage and his second wife, Theodora Hillman Savage.
212 Dr. W.R. Pentland practised medicine in Richmond Hill from 1910 until he retired to California in 1919.
213 Aerial view of Richmond Hill's greenhouses in the 1930s, looking west from the Canadian National Railway tracks towards Yonge Street. The H.J. Mills greenhouses are top centre, the J.H. Dunlop greenhouses lower left, and the Bedford Park greenhouses to the right.
214 The William J. Lawrence greenhouses.
215 The John Dunlop family.
216 The John Dunlop greenhouses.
217 Interior of the H.J. Mills florist operation in 1948. Pictured left to right are Doug Lowrey, Alex Peters, Howard Van Dyke, James Pollard, Stan Baker, H.J. Mills, Bill Fisher, Norm Stephenson, Bill Horner.
218 Endean's Garden Centre at Elgin Mills in the 1930s.
219 First home of contractor William H. Graham, which he built at 90 Centre Street East in 1911. Mrs. Graham is sitting on the steps while her husband and eldest child, Philip, sit in their new 1914 Model-T Ford.
220 The long struggle for adequate library facilities. Here in 1895, a new Public Library Board takes over from the old Mechanics' Institute.
221 Dr. Lillian Langstaff, guest speaker at the inaugural meeting of the Women's Institute in 1913 and member of the Horticultural Society's first Flower Show Committee in 1914.
223 Snowshoe party on Vaughan Sideroad (today's Major Mackenzie Drive) west of Yonge Street in 1918.
224 Looking south on Yonge Street from the roof of the Methodist Church, circa 1911-15.
225 Looking north on Yonge Street from the roof of the Methodist Church, circa 1911-15.
226 Looking east on Centre Street from the roof of the Methodist Church, circa 1911-1915.
227 Langstaff Jail Farm on the northeast corner of today's Yonge Street and Highway 7. City of Toronto Archives
228 Dormitory room at the Langstaff Jail Farm. City of Toronto Archives
229 Home Guards' church parade, June 13, 1915.
230 Red Cross fund-raising dance at Bond Lake Park, August 23, 1916.
231 A.J. Hume 1858-1943 Clerk of the Village of Richmond Hill
232 Dedicating the First World War memorial in front of the Richmond Hill Public School, August 5, 1923. Umbrellas shelter Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cooper (to the right of the cannon) and Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Monkman (to the left) from the midday sun.
233 Old Boys and Girls Reunion of 1923.
234 Entrance to the Village Park in the 1920s.
235 Parade turns off Yonge Street into the park during the 1923 reunion.
236 Cassie Murphy, Marjorie Wright, and May Robinson surround M.J. Green and his decorated automobile at the 1923 Reunion.
237 Dr. Rolph Langstaff demonstrates his skating skills at age 85. The Liberal, January 23, 1969.
238 Young Alex Carson displays his day's catch of fish from the Mill Pond.
239 Water tower at the Mill Pond, built in 1921 and demolished in April 1962.
240 Dr. John P. Wilson (1886-1965). Born in Albion Township and a graduate of the University of Toronto medical School, Dr. Wilson set up practice in Richmond Hill in the fall of 1918, during the bad influenza epidemic. He and Dr. Rolph Langstaff took yearly turns as medical officer of health for Richmond Hill during the 1920s. Wilson served three years on village council in the 1940s, and was active in community affairs even after his formal retirement from medicine in 1962.
241 Mary Lillian McConaghy and her class, pictured on the front steps of the Richmond Hill Public School in 1915. Front row, left to right: - Innes, Laverne Wright, -, -, Doc Atkinson, Lewis Sims, Art Leach, Bill Innes, Jim Grainger, Alfred Grainger, - Burns, - Warren Second row: -, -, Bertha Hopper, Alice Innes, - Stong, - Tindall, -, -, -, -, - Battie, - Smith, Audrey Tuck Third row: - Smith, - Battie, Ida Blanchard, Isobel Wilson, - Raymer, Betty Hewetson, - Smith Back row: -, -, Peter Savage, -, - Flanigan; Donald Wren, -, -, -, -, Ted Bennett, Bert Grainge
242 Room 4, Richmond Hill Public School, in 1922. Pupils sit upright in double desks, hands behind their backs, ready for the serious task of learning.
243 Cast for a production of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night," Richmond Hill High School, 1925.
244 Young athletes at Richmond Hill High School in the 1920s.
245 The new Richmond Hill High School of 1924, the core of the current high school building on Wright Street.
246 The Loyal True Blue and Orange Home, Yonge Street North, opened in 1923. Roger Carlsen
247 A 12th of July Orange Parade in Richmond Hill, featuring the Union Jack and "King Billy" on his white horse.
248 The Rustic Inn on the west side of Yonge Street at Nos. 24-28 South. The business was begun by Daniel Stong in the 1920s, and continued by his daughter and son-in-law, Ethel and James Wigmore, as an ice cream parlour, restaurant, and boarding house.
249 F.E. Sims General Store on the east side of Yonge Street, north of the radial railway station.
250 Interior view of the F.E. Sims General Store.
251 The Innes Mill at the west end of Richmond Street, south of the Mill Pond, in the 1920s.
252 Employees of the Innes Mill in the 1920s. Standing are, left to right: - Denby, Isill Tyndall, - Rikey, -, Carnie Marsh, - Neal, Bert Meek, George Sims, Jim Wigmore, Will Innes. Seated: Harry Innes, -, - Teatzell, Teatzell, -, - - Hopper, Bert Bennett, Harry Leach.
253 Leslie and Mary (Ritchie) Innes on their 50th wedding anniversary, May 8, 1907, in front of their home at 124 Richmond Street, with their three sons, left to right, Alexander Ritchie Innes, John Leslie Innes, and William Innes.
254 Leslie Innes quotes on materials for the Richmond Hill Public Library.
255 The Richmond Hill Cornet Band.
256 Dr. Rolph Langstaff, the first automobile owner in Richmond Hill, at the wheel of his 1902 Oldsmobile.
257 The automobile and the horse and buggy compete for attention on Yonge Street.
258 The first gasoline pump north of Toronto in Thornhill, established by John L. McDonald, circa 1921. Department of Highways, Ontario.
259 Track work on the radial railway line, October 1927. Toronto Transit Commission
260 Paving Yonge Street through Richmond Hill in 1927. Department of Public Highways of Ontario
261 Automobiles claim ascendancy on the stretch of Yonge Street between Carrville and Major Major Mackenzie drives, circa 1930. City of Toronto Archives James collection 1195
262 The last crop on the Palmer Farm, south half of lot 45, Concession One, Markham Township, 1922, with Richard Stephenson cutting grain.
263 Mr. Paxton ploughing a field where the Richmond Plaza sits today.
264 The Scott Farm on Scott Drive.
265 The approach from Yonge Street. Archives of Ontario
266 Parking and picnicking. Archives of Ontario

Copyright © Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991