[To search all databases, click here]
Table of Contents

Title Page
Author's Preface
1 The Road through Richmond Hill
2 First Peoples on the Land
3 The European Settlers Arrive
4 From Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill: The Birth of a Community
5 Tories and Reformers
6 Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
7 The Neighbours at Mid-Century
8 Fire Brigades and Fence Viewers
9 Picture Post Card Village of the 1880s and 1890s
10 Rails through Richmond Hill
11 The Flowering of Richmond Hill
12 The Village Transformed
Appendix A. Settlers
Appendix B. Occupations*
Appendix C. The Clergy
Appendix D. The Schools
Appendix E. Post Offices and Postmasters
Appendix F. Community Organizations
Table of Illustrations

Appendix A. Settlers

A community is a group of people living in the same locality, with its own identity of character, and possibly sharing an organized political, municipal, and social system. Without people, there is no community.

Richmond Hill's first people were the native Indians. Throughout the pre-European history of this area, there were Indian villages, hunting camps, and travel routes, only now being identified through archaeological studies.

With the arrival of the European settlers, the Indian population declined and until recently, their former presence has been forgotten or ignored.

European settlement of the Richmond Hill area began with the development of Yonge Street and the coming of William Berczy and his settlers, mainly of German origin, from the United States in 1794. As Yonge Street was opened, land became available for the Loyalists and the British, from 1795 on. In 1797, a small group of French émigrés settled on the lands in the north part of the community.

Land Settlement in Richmond Hill

Although many of the original land title holders sold their properties soon after taking out their patents, a list of the patent holders and the basis of their grants is always of interest.

Twp Con Lot* Date Assignee Date Patentee Comments
V 1 36 1795 Sinclair, Samuel 1805 Sinclair, Samuel many buildings by 1851 [Langstaff]
V 1 37 1795 Iredell, Abraham 1798 Iredell, Abraham military part of 2000a
V 1 38 1795 Willcott, Jonathan P. 1798 Willcott, Jonathan Paul R. Lippincott, 1799
V 1 39 1795 Smith, William 1803 Bowkett, William 200a + town lot
V 1 40 1797 McCauley, John 1798 McCauley, John settler [McKarrley, McKerlie]
V 1 41 1797 Crane, James 1803 Crane, James settler
V 1 42 Unknown 1803 Kortz, Michael multiple buildings by 1851 [Kurtz]
V 1 43 1798 Hollingshead, Wm. 1803 Hollingshead, William in lieu of Lot 30 - swampy
V 1 44 1796 Hudson, John H. 1802 Hudson, John Hempstead military 500a + town back lot
V 1 45 1796 Perigo, James 1802 Perigo, James military 500a + town back lot
V 1 46 1796 Miles, Abner 1803 Miles, Abner 1000s of acres
V 1 47 1797 Stookes, John C. 1808 Stookes, John C. "too much misbehaved" for more
V 1 48 1797 Stookes, Edward 1823 Stookes, Edward military part of 300a
V 1 49 1793 Heron, Samuel 1797 Heron, Samuel 200a + town lot
V 1 50 Unknown 1805 Flanagan, William ran an inn 1813-17
V 1 51 1794 Peters, William B. 1807 Peters, William B. also 600a to wife of barrister
V 1 52 1797 Windham settler 1834 Puisaye, J.-G., de Comte through Rowland Winbourne
V 1 53 1797 Windham settler 1834 Puisaye, J.-G., de Comte through Rowland Winbourne
V 1 54 1797 Windham settler 1834 Puisaye, J.-G., de Comte through Rowland Winbourne
V 1 55 1797 Windham settler 1843 Clark, Melinda assigned to Col. d'AllŠgre,
V 1 56 1799 Windham settlers 1820 Saigeon, Michel S 1/4
1820 Renoux, Fran‡ois N 3/4s
V 1 57 1799 Windham settlers 1808 LeBugle, Julien S
1808 Marchand, Jacques N
V 1 58 1799 Windham settlers 1806 Q. St.George/Farcy/Chalus
1834 de Puisaye
V 1 59 1799 Windham settler 1806 Quetton St George, L.
V 1 60 1796 Hayes, John 1806 Chalus, R.-A., Comte de declared vacant 1797
K 1 61 Franklin, Robert 1806 Chalus, R.-A., Comte de S declared vacant 1799
1807 Boiton, Augustin N
K 1 62 Backhouse, Samuel 1807 Boiton, Augustin declared vacant 1799
K 1 63 1794 Hinds, Thomas 1797 Hinds, Thomas settler Bond L. Hotel site 1830
K 1 64 1795 McKay, John 1797 McKay, John 1200a + town lot at Newark
K 1 65 McCauley, James Jr. 1804 Burgess, James McCauley was son of Surgeon General
K 1 66 1796 Selleck, Charles 1801 Selleck, Charles military 1200a + town lot, York
K 1 67 1794 Wright, Edward 1797 Wright, Edward military + town lot in Newark
K 1 68 Unknown 1805 Jackson, Samuel sold to C. Hendrick
K 1 69 1797 Moody, Mary 1805 Moody, Mary service during American War
K 1 70 Unknown 1804 Minthorn, John
M 1 36 1795 Miles, Abner 1803 Miles, Abner 1000s of acres
M 1 37 1796 Miles, James 1803 Sly, Joshua settler
M 1 38 1795 Cozens, Samuel 1798 Cozens, Samuel D. P. Vanderburgh, 1800
M 1 39 1796 Cozens, Samuel 1797 Cozens, Samuel D. P. Vanderburgh, 1800
M 1 40 1798 Butts, Oliver 1804 Butts, Oliver settler R. Gapper, 1831
M 1 41 1795 McLean, Hugh 1805 Stoyell, Thomas R. Marsh, 1815
M 1 42 1795 Lyons, Thomas 1798 Lyons, Thomas R. Marsh, 1802
M 1 43 1796 Dexter, John 1798 Dexter, John R. Lippincott, 1800 J. Fulton, 1805
M 1 44 1796 Dexter, Asa 1805 Arnold, Bowley
Twp Con Lot* Date Assignee Date Patentee Comments
M 1 45 1796 Mace, Henry 1803 Miles, Abner
M 1 46 1798 Shaw, Hugh 1802 Shaw, Hugh military 500a
M 1 47 Unknown 1802 Davidson, Andrew
M 1 48 1794 Kinnear, Thomas 1796 Kinnear, Thomas comfortable house by 1795
M 1 49 1795 Jarvis, William 1801 Jarvis, William part of large acreage
M 1 50 1796 McLennan, William 1801 Jarvis, William part of large acreage
M 1 51 1795 Phillips, John 1823 Stewart, Hugh military 300a, denied town lot
M 1 52 1799 Windham settler 1834 Puisaye, J.-G., Comte de through Rowland Winbourne
M 1 53 1796 Brower, L.C. 1806 Chalus, R.-A., Comte de declared vacant 1799
M 1 54 1799 Windham settlers 1806 Chalus, J.-L., Vicomte de N
1806 Chalus, R.-A., Comte de S
M 1 55 1799 Windham settler 1806 Chalus, J.L., Vicomte de Nathaniel Gamble, 1814
M 1 56 1799 Windham settlers 1807 Fauchard, Michel S
1806 Marseuil, R.-F. de N
M 1 57 1795 Brower, D.D. 1806 Marseuil, R.-F. de declared vacant 1799
M 1 58 Unknown 1809 Chalus, J.-L., Vicomte de
1807 Boiton, A. & Letourneaux, R.
M 1 59 1799 Windham settlers 1806 Furon, Jean S
1806 St.George, L. Quetton N
M 1 60 1799 Windham settler 1801 Farcy, Ambroise de declared vacant in 1799
W 1 61 1794 Van Weide, Bernard 1820 Saigeon, Michel N Berczy land;
1806 Farcy, Ambrose de S reassigned to Windham settlers
W 1 62 1795 Bouchette, Joseph 1796 Bouchette, John Baptiste part of 1200a to Joseph
W 1 63 1794 Bond, William 1798 Bond, William part of 600a
W 1 64 1798 Laughlin, Daniel 1811 Laughlin, Daniel settler
W 1 65 1797 Windham settler 1809 Furon, Jean
W 1 66 1795 Pitney, James 1797 Pitney, James Wm. Willcocks, 1799
W 1 67 1794 Jones, John 1804 Jones, John military A. McKechanie, 1843
W 1 68 Unknown 1802 Herns, John Jesse Ketchum, 1807
W 1 69 Unknown 1832 Hale, William Chas. Thompson, 1833
W 1 70 Unknown 1817 Grover, John
M 2 11 1793 Dunne, Frances 1804 Smith, William Berczy settler
M 2 12 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College A. & N. Miller, 1831 & 1834
M 2 13 1793 Quantz, Melchior 1802 Quantz, Melchior Berczy settler
M 2 14 1793 Lunau, Joachim 1804 Gray, John assigned to Berczy settler
M 2 15 1794 Phillipsen, John & Henry C. 1835 Phillips, Peter G. Berczy settlers
M 2 16 Clergy Reserve 1839 Baldwin, William Helmkay, Munroe & Wise, 1846/48
M 2 17 1793 Dubray, John 1800 Dubray, John Berczy settler; P. Wise, 1811
Twp Con Lot* Date Assignee Date Patentee Comments
M 2 18 1793 Buckendahl, Peter 1818 Buckendahl, George Berczy settler
M 2 19 1793 Stoeber, John N. 1808 Stober, John Nicholas Berczy settler
M 2 20 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College D. Horner, 1836
M 2 21 1793 Hubner, Nicholas 1805 Hebner, Nicholas Berczy settler
M 2 22 1793 Schmeltzer, John 1804 Schmeltzer, John Berczy settler
M 2 23 1794 Berczy settler 1832 Van Allen, Christopher
M 2 24 1793 Vannetton, John 1836 Tipp, John E assigned to Berczy settler
1837 Eyer, Henry W
M 2 25 1793 Seiffer, Daniel 1807 Seiffer, Daniel Berczy settler
M 2 26 1794 Brumstedt, Francis 1816 Phillips, Peter Berczy settler
M 2 27 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College G. Pexton & J. Graham, 1838
M 2 28 Unknown 1807 Overhold, Hannah C. Hendricks, 1808
M 2 29 Unknown 1801 Bentley, Ira Jacob Baker, 1805
M 2 30 Clergy Reserve 1857 Read, Thos. E
1862 Cosgrove, B. W
M 2 31 1794 Berczy, William 1804 Berczy, William Wm. Allen, 1804 J.Tipp, 1810
M 2 32 1794 Berczy, William 1804 Berczy, William Wm. Allen, 1804
M 2 33 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College M. Heise,1851 Wm. Klinck,1857
M 2 34 Unknown 1804 Anderson, Peter U. Willson, 1807
M 2 35 Unknown 1807 Anderson, Peter U. Willson, 1807
W 2 1 1797 Bouchette, John B. 1801 Bouchette, John Baptiste part of 5000a
W 2 2 1797 Bouchette, John B. 1801 Bouchette, John Baptiste part of 5000a
W 2 3 Clergy Reserve 1838 Tiell, Simon C. Hoover, 1839 A. Baker, 1839
W 2 4 1797 Bouchette, John B. 1801 Bouchette, John Baptiste part of 5000a
W 2 5 1797 Chambers, Mary 1801 Chambers, Mary daughter of UEL
W 2 6 Clergy Reserve 1828 King's College Q. St.George, 1860 G. Sproxton, 1853
W 2 7 1794 Bond, William 1798 Bond, William part of 600a
W 2 8 1794 Bond, William 1798 Bond, William part of 600a
W 2 9 Crown Reserve 1857 Steel, Daniel E
1858 Cunningham, Wm. W
W 2 10 Unknown 1820 Park, James
M 3 11 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College many tenants, 1851 [Dollar]
M 3 12 1794 Langhorst, George Henry 1813 Laugherst, John Berczy settler
M 3 13 1794 Ulson, John 1805 Ulson, John Berczy settler
M 3 14 1794 Schmid, Francis 1803 Schmid, Francis Berczy settler
M 3 15 Clergy Reserve 1839 Baldwin, Robert D. Leek, 1839
M 3 16 1794 Vogel, Charles Henry 1804 Vogel, Charles Henry Berczy settler; W.W. Baldwin, c1805
M 3 17 1794 Ernst, Peter 1804 Berczy, William Berczy settler Hon. A. McDonell, 1804
M 3 18 1794 Tempel, Sophia & children 1804 Kakmann, Ann Berczy settler
M 3 19 1794 Phillipsen, Henry C. 1804 Gray, John Berczy settler
M 3 20 1794 Holst, Peter 1805 Holtby, Peter W Berczy settler
M 3 21 Crown Reserve 1817 Stewart, James C. Hendrick, 1821
M 3 22 1794 Boye, John 1804 Boye, John Berczy settler;
(patent to Berczy's lawyer)
M 3 23 1794 Eber, Jacob 1804 Weekes, Wm. Berczy settler
M 3 24 1794 Dietzman, John 1816 Deadman, John Berczy settler
M 3 25 Clergy Reserve 1820 Heise, John W
M 3 26 1797 Canada, John 1815 Kennedy, John settler
M 3 27 1803 Arnold, John 1805 Arnold, John military multiple acres
M 3 28 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College McCague family, 1859
M 3 29 Bentley, R. 1804 Baker, John Bentley drew it; sold to Baker
M 3 30 1803 Spring, Albright 1807 Spring, Albright
M 3 31 Clergy Reserve 1853 Nigh, Frederick W
M 3 32 1801 Hendrick, Frederick 1804 Hendrick, Frederick
M 3 33 1803 Vanhorne, Abraham 1804 Vanhorne, Abraham C. Heise, 1804
M 3 34 Crown Reserve 1828 King's College Jacob Shirk (Shirrick), 1833
M 3 35 1801 Kendrick, John 1805 Miller, Jacob Kendrick drew it; sold to Mueller
W 3 1 1797 de Hoen, Baron F. 1802 de Hoen, Baron Frederick part of 3000a + Lot 1,York Twp (W)
W 3 2 Clergy Reserve 1828 King's College S. Baker, 1847 (W)
W 3 3 1796 Stegmann, John 1801 Stegmann, John military part of 900a
W 3 4 1796 Stegmann, John 1801 Stegmann, John military part of 900a
W 3 5 Clergy Reserve 1841 Lloyd, James
W 3 6 1796 Stegmann, John 1801 Stegmann, John military part of 900a
W 3 7 1796 Stegmann, John 1801 Stegmann, John military part of 900a
W 3 8 Crown Reserve 1829 Canada Company A. Clubine, 1830
W 3 9 1796 Stegmann, John 1801 Stegmann, John military part of 900a
W 3 10 1796 Stegmann, John 1801 Stegmann, John S part of Stegmann's 900a
1811 Small, James E. N

The Township Lots

A list of patentees by no means tells the story of land settlement in Richmond Hill. A more complete picture is given through a brief résumé of the land owners on each of the township lots. On the following pages, the deed abstracts, along with other pertinent information, have been used to give a short history of each township lot.

Deed Abstracts are the method by which a summary of land transactions is kept. These large ledger-style books were hand written by the clerks. In many cases the ink has faded, the hand writing is indecipherable, or the book bindings make the instrument numbers illegible. To save the original Deed Abstract Registers themselves, they have been placed on microfilm.

The ledgers have the following columns at the top of each page:

Number of Instrument: the transaction number includes such abbreviations as
Patent (land title from Crown)
B & S (bargain and sale)
G (grant)
M (mortgage)
AM (assignment of mortgage)
D (discharge of mortgage)
QC (quit claim)
Agrmt (agreement)
W (will)
L (lease)
Ind (indenture)
Crt of C / Chry (Court of Chancery)

Date: when the transaction occurred

Registry Date: when the transaction was formally registered

Grantor: the person who did the granting

Grantee: the person who received the grant

Price: cost either in pounds, shillings, and pence or in dollars

Quantity / Remarks: brief description of land (100a, E pt of S 1/2) conditions (subject to mortgage)

If you wish more complete and detailed information, the Richmond Hill Central Library will gladly assist you.

Lot 36-1-Vaughan

This lot was assigned to Samuel Sinclair about 1795. Upon receiving his patent in 1805, he sold the entire parcel to Abraham Walker, who may have built a sawmill before he sold to Jeremiah Atkinson in 1823. Walker, Atkinson, and the next owner Barnabus Lyons are all known to have been millers. The development of the southeast corner of the lot at Langstaff centred around the one-acre parcel purchased by William and Jane Cook in 1834. The Cooks operated the Yorkshire House Tavern at this location until the 1880s. The 1851 census lists seven houses as well as a hotel, most of which were clustered at the Langstaff intersection.

Lot 37-1-Vaughan

Abraham Iredell obtained the Crown grant in 1798, as part of 2000 acres he received for military service. Iredell sold it to Bernard Veilie in 1804. The lot was divided into north and south halves in 1805 with the sale of the south half to John Smith and the north half to Samuel Arnold in 1808. A smaller parcel was then sold by Arnold to the Dexter family in 1810. By mid-century, several smaller parcels had been created and the 1851 census listed six houses.

Lot 38-1-Vaughan

Jonathan P. Willcott received the Crown grant in 1798, but within a year sold it to Richard Lippincott, who traded with John Dexter for Lot 43-1-Markham in 1800. By 1835 there were twelve different parcels of land, with access along a road leading to the second concession. The 1851 buildings included one brick, two log, and five frame houses, James Routledge's blacksmith shop, and Thomas Harris's carpenter shop. The Gapper and O'Brien families are among those owning portions of this lot from about 1830, with Edmund Seager purchasing four acres in 1850.

Lot 39-1-Vaughan

Although William Smith was assigned the lot before 1795, it was reassigned to William Bowkett, who received the Crown grant in 1803. By 1826 William S. Gapper owned the south half and by 1829 the north half. His widow Mary began to sell off portions of the land in 1835, although the 1851 census only lists one house on each half.

Lot 40-1-Vaughan

In 1798 John McCauley was granted the patent, having received the 200 acres as a settler. The property changed owners rapidly, to Daniel Laughlin in 1803, Stillwell Wilson in 1807, Julien LeBugle in 1808, and then to Peter Vanderburgh in 1815. In 1833 Richard C. Gapper acquired the whole 210 acres. The property was then divided east/west through various owners, but in 1848 and 1856, Edmund Seager purchased the east and west parcels respectively, bringing the property under a single ownership again. The house at 9241 Bathurst was built by Seager to house his hired man, and is currently but coincidentally owned by a direct descendant of Seager.

Lot 41-1-Vaughan

In 1803 James Crane received the Crown grant to the property he had been assigned as a settler. The subsequent transactions are not clear, but in 1813, Nicholas Johnston sold the east half to Henry Vanderburgh and in 1824, the west half to Rowland Burr. Burr was a carpenter, millwright, and entrepreneur who moved on to establish the village of Burrwick, now Woodbridge. Rowland Burr's house at 528 Carrville Road is owned by the Town and is a designated heritage building. Burr established a blacksmith shop on his property, which was later operated by Samuel Sanderson (1836), Thomas Boothby (1844), and eventually George Woods, at the turn of the century.

Lot 42-1-Vaughan

Although there is no record of to whom the land was assigned, the patent was to the Honourable Michael Kortz in 1803. The Lawrence family acquired the property in 1817. In spite of the single family ownership, there were seven houses on the property in 1851, as well as a tailor shop. By 1861, there was a sawmill, a woollen mill, and a tannery.

Lot 43-1-Vaughan

William Hollingshead received this lot in lieu of Lot 30, which proved to be very swampy, but one year after receiving his patent he sold it to William Johnson. By 1811 it had been divided into 100 acres on Yonge Street and two westerly parcels. In 1859 George Arksey petitioned to have a road built along the southern edge of the lot, to give access to his grist mill. Mill Road, as it was known, later became Weldrick Road.

Lot 44-1-Vaughan

In 1797, John Hempstead Hudson was assigned 500 acres and a town back lot in York, for military service. By 1806, he had received the patent for Lot 44. In 1812 owner Henry Hale sold the north half to his son Orrin and daughter-in-law Hannah Hale. Orrin, in turn, sold his north half to George Munshaw in 1815. William Munshaw was a blacksmith on the east half of this lot from about 1864 to 1874. Dr. Asa Reid, one of Richmond Hill's first medical men, purchased the front 85 acres of the south half in 1836.

Lot 45-1-Vaughan

James Perigo, like John H. Hudson, was assigned 500 acres and a town back lot for military service. He received the Crown grant in 1802, only to sell in 1804 to Abner Miles. In 1840 Miles's daughter, Hannah Playter, sold the 200 acres to James and Rebecca Playter. James Playter defaulted on his mortgage, and in 1861 the property was sold to David Boyle who took over the sawmill which Playter had built. The millpond was located on the north side of the current Major Mackenzie Drive, and became known as Boyle's Pond.

Lot 46-1-Vaughan

Abner Miles was the first occupant of this land, receiving the patent in 1803. Upon the death of his son James, Abner's various properties were divided among his three daughters. Elizabeth (Miles) Arnold and her husband John R. Arnold acquired Lot 46. James Miles had given land for a school and the Presbyterian Church and the Arnolds deeded lands for the Anglican Church. Well-known Richmond Hill businessmen on this lot over the years were Matthew Teefy (postmaster and village clerk), William Myers (saddler), Francis McConaghy (shoemaker), John Palmer (hotel keeper), Jerry Smith (watchmaker), and William H. Pugsley (butcher).

Lot 47-1-Vaughan

John C. Stookes was assigned this 210 acres in 1797, but was "too much misbehaved" for a larger grant. The property was sold to D'Arcy and Henry J. Boulton, members of one of York's elite families. David Bridgeford acquired the whole parcel in 1818 but lost the north half to Henry Boulton through defaulting on his mortgage. In 1829, the southeast quarter was sold by the sheriff to Veiling Sargeant. This lot probably had the most intense early development within the village, not just on its Yonge Street frontage, but also westward along Centre, Elizabeth, Richmond, Wright, and Mill Streets to the millpond of John Langstaff. Some of the names associated with the Yonge Street parcels were William Harrison (saddler), J. K. Falconbridge and William Atkinson (merchants), Abraham Law (tanner), and P. G. Savage (merchant and later postmaster). Lot 47 also contained at various times the Temperance Hall, a brick yard, a distillery, a tannery, a foundry, and a sawmill. Later a grist mill was added to the millpond complex, and a high school was built at Yonge and Wright Streets.

Lot 48-1-Vaughan

It was not until 1823 that grantee Edward Stookes received his Crown grant for Lot 48, part of 300 acres for military service. The Stookes family sold the property to Miles Langstaff in 1830. In 1837, Thomas Kinnear purchased 1 1/4 acres on Yonge Street. This parcel eventually was owned by Joseph Bloor, a Toronto hotel owner, who sold to John Linfoot, proprietor of the Halfway House. In 1851, Thomas and Andrew MacBeth established a carriage works at the north end of the village. This later became Archibald Wright's Carriage Works, then an undertaking service. The property has been the location of a funeral business continuously since that time. The most prominent residence on Lot 48, now located at 107 Hall Street, is that built by Dr. James Langstaff. It has been the home of the Langstaff family doctors since 1849 and is a designated heritage building. The millpond, now a favourite recreational park, is located on the north side of Mill Street, and supplied the power to the mills and foundries on Lot 47.

Lot 49-1-Vaughan

Lot 49 was granted to Samuel Heron in 1797 by the Crown. Heron appears to have defaulted on a mortgage, losing the property to John Gray. In 1824, James Raymond acquired the north half, on which he built a tavern. Ninety acres of this parcel eventually became the property of Edward Shepherd, with Thomas Harris, then George P. Dickson, purchasing the 15 acres on which the tavern was located. The south half remained entirely as farm property, held first by Isaac Campbell from 1824 to 1831, then John Stavert and later the Stavert estate.

Lot 50-1-Vaughan

The grantee of this lot was William Flanagan, who ran an inn from 1813 to 1817. John Eyer purchased one acre on the northeast corner (the southwest corner of Yonge and Elgin Mills) in 1823. The same one acre was subsequently owned by James Newton, Jr., who operated a general store. A store continued at this location until well into the 1900s. The rest of the property had a turbulent history. It was the site of William B. Crew's mud brick inn, which was reputed to be associated with tragedy for all those who were associated with it. A subsequent owner, James Simpson, was said to have been a disagreeable and even violent individual much disliked by the community. Simpson may have built the house at 34 Oxford Street, now a designated heritage building.

Lot 51-1-Vaughan

Richmond Hill's first settler, Balser Munshaw, originally settled the land, but abandoned it within a year. Barrister William B. Peters received Lot 51 in 1807. This was only a portion of the lands assigned to him. As well, his wife received 600 acres as wife of a barrister. By 1835 it had passed through the hands of Francis Jackson, Daniel Tiers, James Fleck, John S. Baldwin, Alexander Montgomery, and Aaron Munshaw to Hugh Stewart. Fleck operated an inn here in the 1820s. It may have been the same site upon which the original Elgin Mills hotel of Robert Bingham was located. The northwest corner of Elgin Mills and Yonge Street also contained the Newton Tannery, Dickson's steam sawmill, Trench's blacksmith shop, and John Hamilton's cooperage.

Lot 52-1-Vaughan

This lot was originally allocated to a French émigré, Comte de Puisaye, leader of the Windham settlers who arrived in 1799 to settle along Yonge Street at Oak Ridges. These settlers, being of the nobility, were unable to adapt to pioneer life and the settlement of Windham was abandoned in 1806. Puisaye had failed to take out the patent on his lands before returning to France, so in 1834 the patents were granted to his agent Rowland Winbourne. Part of this property became the country home of Larratt Smith. His Twickenham Farm became a symbol of hospitality for the local gentry as well as for visitors from Toronto. Eventually the lot became part of the holdings of Hiram G. Bernard, a prominent Elgin Mills farmer.

Lot 53-1-Vaughan

This, too, was one of Comte de Puisaye's properties, patented by his agent Rowland Winbourne. Francis Boyd, who purchased the property in 1835, was a good friend of Larratt Smith. His Brookside Farm also saw many prominent visitors from Newmarket to Toronto. By 1865, Hiram B. Bernard owned all of this lot. Brookside Drive runs through the east half of the property.

Lot 54-1-Vaughan

This lot was also part of Puisaye's holdings and as in the above lot Hiram B. Bernard owned it all in 1860.

Lot 55-1-Vaughan

French émigré, Col. d'Allègre, was assigned this lot in 1797, but never took up the patent. Melinda Clark was the recipient of the patent in 1843. Within a period of 14 days she had sold the south half to Thomas Bell, retaining the north half until at least 1864. This property is thought to contain the only known archaeological remnants of a Windham settlement cabin.

Lot 56-1-Vaughan

This lot on the north side of Gamble Road was part of the lands assigned to Windham settlers. French émigrés François Renoux and Michael Saigeon received the patents in 1820. Renoux owned the north three-quarters of the lot, Michael Saigeon occupied the south quarter. Both parcels became part of H. G. Bernard holdings.

Lot 57-1-Vaughan

Windham settler Julien Le Bugle patented the south half in 1808 and Jacques Marchand the north half in the same year. LeBugle appears to have exchanged his portion for Stillwell Wilson's Lot 40. Jacques Marchand retained his north section until 1834 when he sold to William Poole, who sold to Robert Grundy in 1846. Grundy sold the northeast quarter to Francis Keller in 1849 and the northwest quarter to William Beynon in 1880.

Lot 58-1-Vaughan

Lot 58 was divided horizontally into 50-acre parcels and was occupied by four Windham settlers - Comte de Puisaye, Ambroise de Farcy, Comte de Chalus, and Laurent Quetton St. George. Eventually George Dibbs acquired most of the Yonge Street frontage and John Hart, most of the Bathurst Street rear portion.

Lot 59-1-Vaughan

Windham settler Laurent Quetton St. George took out the patent on this parcel in 1806. William W. Baldwin, as manager of the St. George properties, sold the west half to Francis Feel in 1836. The Feel family held their section until 1845 before selling to John Hart. The east half passed through several hands, including the Carlisles and the Jeffersons, to James Hugill in 1854.

Lot 60-1-Vaughan

Although John Hayes was assigned the lot in 1796, it was declared vacant in 1797. Comte de Chalus was the listed patentee and owner from 1806 to 1845 when Martin MacLeod purchased the land, making it part of Drynoch Farms.

Lot 61-1-King

The lot was declared vacant in 1799, and in 1806 the south half was granted to René-Augustin, Comte de Chalus, and the north half went to Augustin Boiton. In 1845 Martin MacLeod purchased the south half, which then became known as Drynoch Farm. Martin sold 5 acres to his son Norman T. MacLeod in 1859 and when Martin died, Norman received the whole south half. Norman T. MacLeod lived beyond his means and was continually mortgaging the property to cover his debts. He eventually lost everything. In 1892 Philip Phillips purchased a part of the property, including the lake, which eventually became known as Phillips Lake.

Lot 62-1-King

The original assignee was Samuel Backhouse. It would appear that he did not meet the settlement requirements as it was proclaimed vacant in 1799. Augustin Boiton was the patentee in 1807. Eventually 183 acres were acquired by Philip Phillips. Although the Phillips family sold off small sections, they retained the largest portion of the property into the 1880s.

Lot 63-1-King

Thomas Hind received the Crown grant in 1797, having been assigned the lot in 1794, as a settler. The next buyer was John McFarland, who held the property until 1834 when he sold to Thomas MacAdam. No sooner had Thomas MacAdam purchased the land than he sold the west half to James Marsh. The next year Thomas sold the northeast quarter to Hiram Beach and the northwest quarter to Nathaniel Vernon. The Marsh family were still on a portion of the property until 1886. This property was the site of the well-known Bond Lake Hotel.

Lot 64-1-King

John McKay obtained the patent in 1797. His assigned lands included 1200 acres and a town lot at Newark (Niagara). In 1819 Ralph Luming was the owner but he sold to James Wilkie in the same year. The Court of Chancery allocated the north half to Thomas Mortson and the south half to William Thompson in 1870. Within a month William Thompson had sold his south half to James Thompson, but bought back 2 acres for one dollar. In 1882 James purchased an additional 50 acres (northwest part) from Thomas Mortson, but in 1884 sold his portion to Thomas Legge.

Lot 65-1-King

James McCauley, Jr., son of Surgeon General McCauley, was the assignee for Lot 65, however James Burgess received the grant in 1804. Burgess sold the whole parcel that same year to Hugh McPhee. The property then passed to David Love, then James and Ann Carscadden. In 1876 John Bostwick purchased the 120 acres. James Burke later occupied 2 acres at the northwest corner, selling it in 1892 to James A. Bovair. Charles Norman acquired the west 80 acres from James E. Carscadden in 1883, but within a month had sold it to James W. Legge.

Lot 66-1-King

In 1801 Charles Selleck received his Crown grant, bordering on the north side of King Road. It was only a part of 1200 acres and a town lot that he received for military service. Within one year William W. Willcocks purchased the whole 210 acres for just £150. It was not until 1832 that the lot was divided, with the Hon. Joseph Wells buying the east half and John Love the west 100 acres. In 1835, Love sold one acre to the Trustees of the Temperanceville Methodist Church. Wells' property was acquired by the Hon. Robert Baldwin in 1852, perpetuating the Family Compact ownership of the Yonge Street frontage of the farm. By 1871, the east half had become the property of Thomas Legge, but the west half continued in the ownership of the Love family until the 1880s. No subdividing into smaller parcels occurred along King Sideroad nor Yonge Street, even as late as 1887.

Lot 67-1-King

In 1797 Edward Wright obtained the patent for 200 acres and a town lot in Newark (Niagara) for military service. By 1804 he had sold the property to James Love. The Loves retained the west half until 1864. As with Lot 66, the east half passed to Wells, Baldwin, and Thomas Legge. In 1857, Love sold one-quarter of an acre to the trustees of School Section #21 at Temperanceville, and Baldwin granted a small parcel on Yonge Street to school trustees. This parcel was enlarged when Legge sold a further 1/4 acre to the Trustees of Union School Section #1, the site of Oak Ridges Public School.

Lot 68-1-King

Samuel Jackson received the lot in 1805, but by 1807 he had sold it to Christian Hendricks for £200. In 1835 Hendricks sold the northwest quarter to Jay Cody, in 1836 the south half to Thomas Metcalf, and in 1837 the northeast quarter to William Redden. The only smaller lot was a 1/2 acre purchased by William Norman in 1856, which he then sold to Robert Routledge in 1857. Routledge established a blacksmith shop.

Lot 69-1-King

Mary Moody was the patentee in 1805, for service during the American War. Through Thomas Taylor, the property was divided between Nathaniel Gamble on the east half and John Devine on the west half. Gamble's portion passed from Joseph Minthorn to Fountain Dickinson Hunter then to James Hughey in 1832. The Hughey family still own the property almost 160 years later. The west half was purchased by Joseph Fleury in 1815 and it remained with the Fleury family throughout the 19th century.

Lot 70-1-King

In 1804 John Minthorn had obtained the Crown grant. Since this lot bordered a sideroad, division of the property did not have to occur in the usual north/south or east/west halves. In 1824 Isaac Webb owned 40 acres on the Yonge Street side. Joseph Fleury acquired 30 acres on the west side at Bathurst, leaving the middle 140 acres to James Harman. The land was further subdivided when Harman sold his easterly 15 acres to John Bowley and 10 acres to Joseph Hughey. This multiple east/west division of the lot was only possible because the various owners had access off the sideroad.

Lot 36-1-Markham

Abner Miles was assigned this parcel in 1795 and received the patent in 1803 as part of a grant of several thousand acres. John Langstaff, son of John and Charity (Stille) Langstaff, married Abner's daughter Lucy in 1808 and purchased Lot 36 the same year from Abner's son James. John and Lucy's eight children were all born on this lot. John Langstaff built up a number of small industries, including a pail, shingle, and wooden eavestrough factory. In addition he had a store and a blacksmith shop. Except for 40 acres on the east side which were sold in the 1880s, the Langstaff family remained on the property throughout the 19th century. The property was eventually acquired by the City of Toronto as part of the Langstaff Jail Farm for inebriates.

Lot 37-1-Markham

Although the lot was originally assigned to James Miles as a settler, Joshua Sly received the patent in 1803, but his attorney sold the land to John Daniel in 1805. Within eleven days Daniel had sold it to Andrew Wilson, who sold 135 acres of the east part to John Munshaw in 1806; in 1808 he sold 55 acres of the west part to John Langstaff. Munshaw purchased 23 acres from John Langstaff in 1825, but sold back one acre 20 years later. The Munshaws sold off 35 acres at the rear in 1865, one acre on the northwest corner to Grace Lawrence in 1869, and the remainder to James Russell the same year. Russell acquired the rest of the Langstaffs' parcel in 1883. In 1851 the Census lists three log houses, 3 one-storey frame houses, and a two-storey frame house, plus one house being built.

Lot 38-1-Markham

The Crown granted this lot to Samuel Cozens in 1799, who almost immediately sold it to Peter Vanderburgh. Vanderburgh divided the property into three, including 50 acres of the southwest quarter to John Dexter, who later was hanged for the murder of Vanderburgh's eldest son, Henry. By 1861 the principal owners were Edmund Seager at the rear, Lambert Munshaw on the southeast quarter, and William Russell on the northeast parcel. Eventually all of Lot 38 was purchased as part of the Langstaff Jail Farm. Russell's large brick home is now designated as a heritage building under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Lot 39-1-Markham

Samuel Cozens was also the grantee of Lot 39, in 1797, selling this parcel also to Peter Vanderburgh in 1800. After a number of divisions and transactions, the property was eventually acquired by William Russell as part of his Springbrook Farm. Seager owned a small parcel at the rear of this lot, just as he did on Lot 38.

Lot 40-1-Markham

The first owner was Oliver Butts in 1804. The second owner, Thomas Stoyell, held the land from 1830 to 1831 and then sold to Richard C. Gapper, brother of diarist Mary O'Brien. Mrs. O'Brien described visiting Richard's home for the first time when it was barely finished. In 1853 Gapper sold the property to William Duncan, whose family remained on the farm throughout the 19th century. The Gapper/ Duncan house was relocated to the rear of the lot in the 1960s, and is now designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Lot 41-1-Markham

Thomas Stoyell, a York physician connected to the Miles family, was granted Lot 41 in 1805, although it had been assigned to H. McLean ten years earlier. In 1815, Robert Marsh, stepfather of David Bridgeford, purchased the land and established a thriving farm on the property. The Marsh family remained on the property throughout the 19th century.

Lot 42-1-Markham

Thomas Lyons received the patent for Lot 42 in 1798. Robert Marsh purchased the property from the Lyons family in 1802. The Marsh home, built in 1844 with a 2 12 - storey patterned brick addition added c1866, is a fine example of Classical Ontario architecture and is now the residence for the Director of the David Dunlap Observatory. The domed telescope and the administration building were built in 1935 for the University of Toronto.

Lot 43-1-Markham

John Dexter received the patent for this lot in 1798 but in 1800 exchanged it for Richard Lippincott's Lot 38 in Vaughan. Captain James Fulton purchased the property in 1805 and is reputed to have entertained Bishop Strachan and his family, as well as General Isaac Brock, during a militia muster for the War of 1812. On Fulton's death, his daughter Elizabeth and her husband Richard Vanderburgh built a large two-storey frame home, about 1833. This house, now relocated a little farther to the east, has been designated by the Town of Richmond Hill under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Lot 44-1-Markham

Although Asa Dexter was assigned the lot in 1796, it was Bowley Arnold who obtained the Crown grant in 1805. Bowley was the son of John and Mary (Wilson) Arnold. The brothers of Bowley held part of the property until 1840, when the north half was sold to Alexander C. Lawrence. The south half had been sold to William Stockdale in 1833, then to Lawrence in 1839. In 1875 Lawrence sold the entire farm to William Harding, for whom Harding Avenue is named.

Lot 45-1-Markham

Henry Mace was the original assignee, but it was Abner Miles who was the grantee in 1803. Miles died July 26, 1806. On the death of his son James, the property went to John Langstaff, who had married Abner's daughter Lucy Miles in 1808. Lewis Langstaff, son of John and Lucy, purchased the land in 1845 and eventually sold the whole parcel to John Palmer in 1853. The north border of this land is the present day Major Mackenzie Drive, and Palmer's small frame house is still on its site at the southeast corner of Yonge and Major Mackenzie.

Lot 46-1-Markham

In 1798 Hugh Shaw was assigned this lot and received the Crown grant in 1802 for military service. His son James began to subdivide the Yonge Street frontage in the 1820s, thereby initiating the development of a village. Over the years, the lot included three hotel sites, a bakery, several blacksmiths, a druggist, several shoemakers, the offices of the Richmond Hill Liberal, and a wide range of retail shops. The buildings which were once Dr. Duncumb's Hall and Trench Carriage Works may still be found along Yonge Street, north of Major Mackenzie Drive.

Lot 47-1-Markham

Andrew Davidson received the grant in 1802, then sold the land to John H. Hudson in 1804. The property then passed to William Allen, to Loyalist surveyor Samuel Wilmott, to Jabez Lynde, and finally in 1832, to Amos Wright. During the 1840s and the 1850s, commercial uses were developed on the Yonge Street frontage as the village expanded northward. The first Methodist Church was built south of Centre Street in 1847, then replaced in 1880, following a fire, by the large Gothic Revival church now known as the Richmond Hill United Church. A Masonic Hall was erected immediately north of the church site in 1870. Some of the businessmen on this lot were A.L. Skeele (watchmaker), Robert Siver (shoemaker), John Coulter (tailor), Alex Hume (village clerk), and Parker Crosby (general merchant).

Lot 48-1-Markham

Thomas Kinnear was assigned this lot in 1794 and received the patent in 1796, having built a comfortable home by 1795. The property passed through numerous owners before William Johnson sold 50 acres to Thomas Richardson in 1833. Richardson was a wealthy, if somewhat eccentric, watchmaker and financial investor. It was also on this lot that merchant Parker Crosby built his unique Crosby Hall in 1863.

Lot 49-1-Markham

William Jarvis received the Crown grant for this lot in 1801 but it was only a small part of the large acreage he held. He then leased the land to Laurent Quetton St. George. William Baldwin, as agent, sold the land in 1834 to Dr. Asa Reid, who in turn sold to Robert Moodie. In later years the property was known as the Robinson farm.

Lot 50-1-Markham

The original assignee was William McLennan, but William Jarvis acquired the Crown grant in 1801. By 1861 James Kerswell owned the north half and held the mortgage on the south half. By 1891 John Kerswell was in possession of the entire property.

Lot 51-1-Markham

Although John Phillips was originally assigned the lot, the grant went to Hugh Stewart. Dr. John Hostetter later owned 50 acres on the west half as did Hiram G. Bernard. James Kerswell also owned a portion, which upon his death was inherited by his son Daniel Kerswell.

Lot 52-1-Markham

As on Lot 52-1-V, this lot was originally allocated to a Windham settler, and the patent was granted to Rowland Winbourne on behalf of Comte de Puisaye. In 1837, Maria Kent purchased 50 acres of the north part from Hugh Stewart, then sold it in 1846 to George Dove, a butcher. In 1843 Hiram G. Bernard acquired the south 140 acres. Hiram A. Bernard eventually began to sell off his father's extensive holdings, granting 100 acres to Thomas Fahey in 1878.

Lot 53-1-Markham

The original assignee was L. C. Brower in 1796, but the lot was declared vacant in 1799. In 1806 René Augustin, Comte de Chalus, a Windham settler, received the Crown grant. Philip Phillips acquired the land in 1825, and built a substantial frame house, which was home to William Harrison and his widowed mother for several years in the 1840s. The Newbery family had a long tenure in the house from 1853 to the 20th century.

Lot 54-1-Markham

In 1806 French émigrés Jean-Louis, Vicomte de Chalus, and René Augustin, Comte de Chalus, were granted the north and south halves respectively. The Vicomte sold to Nathaniel Gamble in 1814, and various members of the Gamble family were still in possession of the north half until at least 1856. The south half went through a series of transactions until 1864, when the owner was John B. Newbery.

Lot 55-1-Markham

This lot was also part of the ill-fated Windham settlement and although Jean-Louis, Vicomte de Chalus, received the Crown grant, Nathaniel Gamble was the owner by 1814. The Gamble family, including Moses, John, Robert, and Joseph, owned both north and south halves until 1847. Robert Gamble sold the south half in 1849 to John Harrington.

Lot 56-1-Markham

Le Chevalier de Marseuil received the grant for the north half of this lot in 1806; however he sold to William Tyler in 1815. This property then passed to William Tyler, Jr., George Revill, Robert Brunskill, Sr., Robert Brunskill, Jr., then in 1858 to Thomas Hodgson. The grant for the south half went to Michael Fauchard in 1807. By 1822 the Gamble family were in possession. William Gamble granted a part of the south half for the second Jefferson School, the last remaining one-room brick school house in Richmond Hill.

Lot 57-1-Markham

This lot was originally assigned to D.D. Brower, but was reassigned to the Windham settlers in 1799, even though the squared timber for a house was ready by 1795. In 1806 R.-F. de Marseuil was given the Crown grant. By 1860, the north half was occupied by Mrs. Elliott and the south by Frederick Paige.

Lot 58-1-Markham

The north half of the lot was granted to René Letourneaux in 1807 and the north half of the south half to Augustin Boitin. The south quarter went to the Vicomte de Chalus in 1809. In 1860, after a variety of owners, Chalus' quarter was owned by Mrs. Elliott, Boitin's quarter by William Anderson, and the north half was divided east/west with John Gorman on the front (west) and D. Barker on the rear.

Lot 59-1-Markham

Laurent Quetton St. George was granted the north half, and Jean Furon the south half. Among the various owners in the early years were the Hon. Robert Baldwin, Henry Quetton St. George, Thomas Mortson, Samuel Arnold, Forbes Elliott, and James Langstaff. In 1860 there was a steam sawmill on the water course through the south half.

Lot 60-1-Markham

This lot was granted to Ambrose de Farcy, but by the time the French settlers had completely dispersed, Laurent Quetton St. George was in possession. By 1846, Martin MacLeod had acquired it, and in 1849 donated four acres to the Lord Bishop of Toronto for a church. Although greatly altered from the original frame structure, St. John's Anglican Church has survived on the site for almost 150 years.

Lot 61-1-Whitchurch

Assignee Baron Von Weide had built a good home by 1795, but as a Berczy settler, was unable to acquire title. The lands were reassigned to Puisaye's settlers, Ambroise de Farcy (north half) and Michel Saigeon (south half). Martin MacLeod included the south half in his Drynoch holdings but his heirs sold the southwest quarter in 1872 to Frederick Paige, and James Langstaff acquired the southeast quarter in 1887. The Saigeon family kept the north half until about mid-century. The 1860 Tremaine map shows William Ellis occupying the north half, although Charles Robertson had owned it in the intervening time.

Lot 62-1-Whitchurch

Joseph Bouchette was assigned this lot before 1795, as part of 1200 acres granted to him. As early as 1794, Bouchette had an agreement with William Bond which allowed Bond to become involved in curious dealings with the property. However Joseph Bouchette apparently retained or recovered title to the land, and sold it to Charles William Ross in 1829. Twenty years later Ross sold the property to Chief Justice John Beverley Robinson, who built a pillared mansion overlooking Bond Lake. The Legge family leased the property, then eventually purchased it in 1880. Their house was situated at the east end of the lake. The Metropolitan Radial Railway later acquired all the Bond Lake lands for their power house, car repair barn and recreational park. The car barn still sits on the height of land overlooking the south edge of the lake.

Lot 63-1-Whitchurch

On this property the original assignee and patentee was William Bond, but he sold it almost immediately in 1801. In 1831 William B. Jarvis, Sheriff, deeded the property to Robert Berrie for £14.72.0, then in 1835 Robert Berrie sold to John Beverley Robinson. Thomas Legge acquired the east half in 1880. The whole lot became part of the Metropolitan Radial Railway lands in the late 1890s.

Lot 64-1-Whitchurch

Daniel Laughlin settled the land in 1798, receiving the patent in 1811, but he immediately sold to Daniel Tiers. Between 1813 and 1829 the owners were William Waters, William Holmes, Ulrich Howard, Thomas G. Ridout, and Michael Kane. In 1830 the land was acquired by William Thompson and upon his death was inherited by members of his family.

Lot 65-1-Whitchurch

French émigré John Furon received the grant in 1809. The land remained in his hands until 1843, when he sold 7 ¾ acres on the southwest corner to John Mair. This 7 ¾ acres changed ownership in 1844 to Samuel Lemon; in 1847 to William Montgomery; in 1849 to George McMorran; in 1850 to Joseph Harrison; in 1870 to Sarah Ann Harrison; and in 1871 to Asa Curtis. Curtis was one of the innkeepers of the Oak Ridges hotel, remaining on the lot until about 1895. John Furon sold the remainder to Joseph C. Mair in 1863.

Lot 66-1-Whitchurch

James Pitney settled on the lot in 1795 and procured the Crown grant in 1797. William Willcocks was the recipient in 1799 and upon his death his daughter Susanna Maria Willcocks inherited the land. Susanna gave the land to her sister Margaret Phoebe Willcocks, who married William Warren Baldwin. The Baldwin property was known as Larchmere.

Lot 67-1-Whitchurch

In 1794 John Jones was assigned this land for military service, receiving the grant in 1804. Alexander Jones held the property in 1836 and sold it to Alexander McKechanie in 1843, who sold to Philip Hopkins in 1847. Robert Baldwin became owner in 1853, connecting the property to Lot 66, and in 1867 William Willcocks Baldwin sold both lots to Thomas McCausland. The Oak Ridges Moraine Library of Richmond Hill is now located on this property.

Lot 68-1-Whitchurch

The Crown grant went to John Herns in 1802. In 1807 the owner was Jesse Ketchum, who sold to Seneca Ketchum in 1810. In the same year Seneca sold the north half to James Martin Cawdell and the south half to Jane Coates. Cawdell sold the northwest quarter to Thomas Coates in 1831 and in 1842 willed the northeast quarter to Edward Wright. In 1860 there was a steam sawmill on the property.

Lot 69-1-Whitchurch

William Hale received the patent for the land in 1832. A year later this property belonged to Charles Thompson. In 1852, Thompson sold to Alex McKechanie for $12,000.00. McKechanie had been a merchant in the village of Richmond Hill, but by 1860 was well established with his 200 acre "Pine Farm," and a position as Justice of the Peace.

Lot 70-1-Whitchurch

In 1817 John Grover had settled on the land. In 1824 he sold it to Alexander Burnside, who in 1839 sold to William Osborne. In 1841 William Osborne sold the east half to William Redden and in 1842 sold the west half to Charles Pollock. The east half of this property underwent a series of subdivisions and a variety of owners but by 1825 it had returned to the single ownership of James Lloyd. James Stewart purchased the west half in 1855 and built a patterned brick Classic Ontario house at the southeast corner of Yonge Street and the current Bloomington Road.

Lot 11-2-Markham

William Smith received the Crown grant in 1804 and in October of the same year sold the land to Abraham Vanhorne. Four years later, Vanhorne sold the west half to Ezekiel Benson; the property then passed to James Johnson and in 1818 to Benjamin Hoshel. It remained with the Hoshel family until 1889, except for two acres at the southwest corner. Thomas Amoss purchased this corner in 1852, and established a pail factory. The east half remained in the Vanhorne name until mid-century. In the latter half of the 1800s, a number of small quarter and half acre parcels were severed at the intersection of the present Highway #7 and Leslie Street to become part of the hamlet of Dollar.

Lot 12-2-Markham

This lot was set aside as a Crown Reserve until it was granted to King's College in 1828. By 1834 Abraham Miller purchased the east half and Nathan Miller the west half. In 1835 Nathan sold the southwest quarter to Benjamin Thorne and a year later sold the remainder of his west half to John Munshaw. However in 1836 Nathan repurchased the southwest quarter from Benjamin Thorne and resold it in 1839 to William Braithwaite. In 1837 Abraham Miller sold 14 acres to David Leek, having sold the remainder to Nathan Chapman in 1834.

Lot 13-2-Markham

Melchior Quantz was a Berczy settler who was assigned this land in 1794. He received the Crown grant in 1802. This lot remained in the Quantz family until at least the turn of the century. One of the Quantz houses still remains at 8763 Bayview Avenue. The eastern portion of this land is now part of Beaver Creek Industrial Park.

Lot 14-2-Markham

Joachim Lunau, his wife Helena and children Johanna, Charles, Christian, Elizabeth, John, and Christina, were Berczy settlers, assigned this lot in 1794. However the patent was taken out in the name of Berczy's major creditor, John Gray, in 1804. In 1833 the lot was sold to Isaac Miller, and was retained by the Miller family until mid-century. The east 80 acres then sold to William Cook and the west 120 acres to William Rennie. This westerly portion was passed to William Jackes in 1887, and then to Joseph Comisky on Jackes' death.

Lot 15-2-Markham

This lot was settled by the Phillipsen family, members of the Berczy settlers. By 1835, when the patent was granted, the name had been anglicized to Phillips. During most of the 19th century the property remained in the Phillips family. A cluster of small lots were developed at the northeast corner (southwest corner of 16th Avenue and Leslie Street), where Peter Phillips set up a blacksmith shop about 1851. It was later operated by William Teasdale.

Lot 16-2-Markham

This lot was originally a Clergy Reserve, but in 1839 the Crown grant was issued to William Augustus Baldwin, a member of the Toronto elite. W.A. Baldwin sold the west half to Francis Helmkay and the southeast quarter to Timothy Munro in 1846, and in 1848 he sold the northeast quarter to Henry Wise.

Lot 17-2-Markham

John Dubray was a Berczy settler who was assigned this lot in 1794, receiving the patent in 1800. The Wise (Wice) family, another of the Berczy settlers, purchased the lot in 1811. The Wilmotts bought the northwest quarter in 1822, selling it to George Teasdale in 1823. In 1869, Teasdale sold a parcel at the northeast corner to Francis Boynton, who granted the trustees of School Section #4 Markham half an acre in 1873. There has been a school on or near this site since about 1850, but in 1874 a new school was built. The school, a private residence since 1962, and designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1989, was completely destroyed by fire in 1990. George Teasdale acquired the southwest portion of the lot in 1832. His heirs sold 67 1/2 acres to Alexander Marsh in 1868. Marsh already owned the farm opposite, on the west side of the current Bayview Avenue.

Lot 18-2-Markham

This lot was assigned in 1794 to Peter Buckendahl, a Berczy settler. However, Buckendahl died before receiving the patent which was granted to his son George. In 1823, Francis Helmkay purchased the west half, building an early brick house sometime before 1851. The home was demolished to make way for the Bayview Hill subdivision. The east half was sold to John P. Ritter, who later bequeathed it to his three sons. By 1895 Francis Helmkay, Jr., owned, the entire 200 acres, except for a small parcel on the southeast corner where Headford United Church is located.

Lot 19-2-Markham

Berczy settler John Nicholas Stoeber was assigned this lot in 1794, receiving the patent in 1808 and immediately selling the whole parcel to Henry C. Phillips. Phillips sold it again in 1809 to Powell C. Phillips. During the last quarter of the 19th century the lot was sold off, with Henry Leach buying the south half in 1884, Thomas Palmer 10 acres of the north half the same year, and John Clarke the remainder of the north half in the 1880s.

Lot 20-2-Markham

A Crown Reserve until 1828, this lot became part of the holdings of King's College. Daniel Horner and his family gained title in 1830, but were probably tenants on the lands prior to that. On Daniel's death, his son Daniel Horner, Jr., inherited the west half, while the east half was divided between his son Jacob and his daughter Elizabeth Brillinger. This lot lies opposite the hamlet of Headford, but did not develop into the small parcels of land along the Leslie Street frontage as did the lands on the east side.

Lot 21-2-Markham

In 1793 this lot was assigned to Nicholas Hubner, a Berczy settler, who received the Crown grant in 1805, with Daniel Horner purchasing the property in 1807. In 1827 Emmanuel Horner sold the east half to Joel Horner and the west half to Daniel Horner. Joel Horner sold his east half to William Stockdale in 1828, who two years later sold it to George Monkman. Upon the death of Daniel Horner the west half of the lot was inherited by John Horner and Mary Brillinger.

Lot 22-2-Markham

John Schmeltz, a Berczy settler, was assigned this lot in 1794 and obtained the grant in 1804. In 1814 he sold the 200 acres to Jacob Doner, who sold the west half to David Eyer. David Eyer in turn sold to Nicholas Lynett in 1850. In 1830, Jacob Doner sold the east half to Benjamin Barnard, a village merchant and former school teacher. Barnard's widow, Maria, sold the east half to her son George A. Barnard in 1850, through her second husband William Pollock. Five years later, George's brother Benjamin Barnard, Jr., sold the east 100 acres to Thomas Lockie.

Lot 23-2-Markham

Title to this Clergy Reserve was granted to Christopher Van Allen in 1832, who may well have been a tenant for many years. On receiving the patent Van Allen sold to John Burr, who sold the west half to James Marsh and the east half to William Proudfoot. David Eyer purchased the west half in 1854 and John McConnell the east half in 1851. By the 1851 census there was still only one log home on the property. In the 1870s the Stong family acquired the east half.

Lot 24-2-Markham

Berczy settler John Vannetton was assigned this lot in 1793, but the patents were issued to John Tipp in 1836 (the east half) and Henry Eyer in 1837 (the west half). John Tipp retained the east half but the west half was sold to the Eyer family, so that by 1860 the Eyers occupied a continuous parcel on the west half of the concession, from Lot 23 to Lot 25.

Lot 25-2-Markham

In 1793 Daniel Seiffer was assigned this lot, and in 1807 when he received the Crown grant he sold the land to John Eyer. The Eyers operated a sawmill on the water course which ran through the concession. The Eyer home can still be found on the south side of Elgin Mills Road, part of Redstone Farm. Abraham Eyer's more recent home (c1860) can be found further east, across from Richmond Green.

Lot 26-2-Markham

This lot was originally assigned to Berczy settler F. Brumstedt, then reassigned to Gotfried Phillips in 1803. The patent was granted to Peter Phillips in 1816. He immediately sold the land to John Doner. In 1830 it passed to Christian Steckley, then to William Stockdale in 1840. In the 1840s Stockdale disposed of the west half to Alex Wallace and the east half to Phillip Bartholomew. David Eyer purchased the west half in 1880, establishing a stave-making factory on the property, which was later operated by H. and J. Harrison. Thomas Boynton purchased the east half in the early 1870s and built the house which is now leased by the Town to the Hellenic Community of York Region.

Lot 27-2-Markham

This lot was one of the Crown Reserves which was patented in the name of King's College in 1828. By 1838 George Pexton owned the east half and John Graham the west half. Athough there was little subdivision of the land, by 1851 there were one log, one plank, and three frame houses, on the property. By 1860, the west half belonged to Jacob Heise and the east half to Thomas Reid.

Lot 28-2-Markham

Hannah Overhold received the Crown grant in 1807 but the land was deeded to Christian Hendricks a year later. This property is one of the few that remained intact as a 200 acre farm through a number of transactions, from Hendricks to John Atkinson to Andrew McGlashen to Harris, and then to James Clifford by 1856. In 1851, there was only one frame house on the farm.

Lot 29-2-Markham

The lot was patented by Ira Bentley in 1801, and sold to Jacob Baker in 1805. The Baker family retained ownership until at least 1867, with Michael Baker on the west half and Jacob on the east half. In 1851 there was one log house, one frame, and one vacant.

Lot 30-2-Markham

As a Clergy Reserve, this property was not patented until 1857 when Thomas Read acquired the east half, although it was tenanted at least as early as 1851. The patent for the west half was granted in 1862 to Bernard Cosgrove. In 1851 there was log a house on each half.

Lot 31-2-Markham

William Berczy received the Crown grant for this lot in 1804, but he immediately sold the west half to William Allen, then the east half to William Tipp in 1810. By 1860, the west half was registered in the name of William G. Klinck, while the east half had passed to Christian Steckley and then to Edward Atkinson. There was a single residence on each half.

Lot 32-2-Markham

As with Lot 31, the patent for this lot was granted to Berczy, who sold to Allen. In 1883 the land passed to Emmanuel Horner. The Horner family divided the property among themselves, with Emmanuel on the west half, Samuel on the northeast quarter, and Jacob on the southeast quarter in 1860. There was a single log residence on each half in 1851.

Lot 33-2-Markham

Lot 33 was another Crown Reserve, patented by King's College in 1828. It was not until 1851 that Michael Heise acquired title to the east half. In 1857, William Klinck added the west half to his holdings. Both the Heises and the Klincks retained ownership for some time.

Lot 34-2-Markham

Although Peter Anderson patented this lot in 1804, and the property passed through several different owners before John Hoover had acquired both halves by 1820, there were no buildings on the lot as late as 1851. In 1832, Daniel Brooke, Esq. had purchased the west half, and in 1860 the land still belonged to Brooke and Hoover.

Lot 35-2-Markham

Peter Anderson also patented this lot, but quickly sold it to Uzel Willson. The title transactions followed much the same sequence as those of Lot 34, with Brooke and Christian Hoover owning the west and east halves respectively in 1860.

Lot 1-2-Whitchurch

The patent from the Crown was issued to Capt. John Baptiste Bouchette in 1801 as part of 5000 acres granted to him for military service. Bouchette sold the property to John Forsythe in 1802, who retained it until 1839 when he sold it to Bartholomew Bull. Bull leased the lands for a number of years, then sold the north half to John Leary in 1857. George Collard seems to have leased and then purchased the south half.

Lot 2-2-Whitchurch

This lot was also granted to Bouchette, who sold it to John Forsythe. In 1839 the Carlisle family purchased all 200 acres, with William Carlisle on the north half in 1860, and Orr Carlisle on the south half.

Lot 3-2-Whitchurch

This was a Clergy Reserve, patented by Simon Tiell in 1838. After passing through the ownership of several Bakers and Hoovers, in 1860 the land was occupied by Jacob Heise on the west half and John Hoover on the east half. By the turn of the century, the Shirk (Shierk) family owned the east half.

Lot 4-2-Whitchurch

This is yet another lot which follows the Bouchette/ Forsythe/Bull ownerships before Alexander McKenzie acquired the southwest quarter in 1844. Ten years later he added the northwest quarter to his parcel. In 1847 John Forrester purchased the east half, and the family remained on the land until at least the 1890s. In 1888, the McKenzie family sold the west half to James Ash.

Lot 5-2-Whitchurch

Mary Chambers, the daughter of a United Empire Loyalist, was granted this land in 1801. By 1805 the family had sold it to Levi Lewis. Andrew Brillinger purchased the 200 acres in 1834, selling the west half to Jacob Doner in 1836. There were a great many transactions relating to this property, especially for the five acres severed from the west half in 1845. This probably was a small parcel near the northwest corner, which abutted Lake Wilcox. In 1859, the Hon. Charles J. Douglas purchased the west half. The Shaver (Sheffer) family were on the east half.

Lot 6-2-Whitchurch

This lot on the north side of Bethesda Road was a Crown Reserve granted to King's College in 1828, along with the other Crown Reserves. In 1860 Henry Quetton St. George purchased the west half, and George Sproxton acquired the east half a short time later. The small lake which just touches the northeast corner of this lot is called Sproxton Lake on the 1860 Tremaine map. In 1868, Quetton St. George sold a parcel 16 1/2 yards wide to the Township of Whitchurch for a road, presumably to allow the concession line to skirt Lake Wilcox, north of Bethesda Road.

Lot 7-2-Whitchurch

The patent was granted to William Bond in 1798, then the property was purchased by William Willcocks. The lot passed to William Wright in 1837, and to Rev. J.W. Small in 1844. In 1852, Henry Quetton St. George acquired the whole 200 acres, and shortly thereafter built his home, which he called Glen Lonely after his wife and daughter returned to France. He sold the east 50 acres surrounding Sproxton Lake to David Baker, but Baker sold back 46 acres in 1863. Eventually, in 1871, John Hanes (Haynes) bought the 4-acre parcel. Sproxton Lake has been called Haynes Lake ever since.

Lot 8-2-Whitchurch

This lot was also part of William Bond's 600 acre grant and was patented in 1798. Just one month later, Bond sold it to William Willcocks as he had Lot 7, and it remained in the Willcocks family until 1831. Jonathan Petch purchased the east half, but it was not until1858 that the west half changed hands, with Henry Quetton St. George acquiring it. John Forrester purchased the east half from Petch in 1857, and the Tremaine map shows a house on his parcel.

Lot 9-2-Whitchurch

This was another parcel set aside as a Clergy Reserve, so the patent was not granted until Daniel Steel acquired the east half in 1857 and William Cunningham the west half in 1858. In 1877 the Cunninghams sold to George Stewart. Steele had already sold his half to John Forrester in 1861.

Lot 10-2-Whitchurch

James Park received title to this lot in 1820 and sold to Robert Coultherd in 1822. The property then passed to Ira White in 1829, to Peter Stiver in 1830, and to John Roddy in 1836. The following year Roddy sold the north 100 acres to James Stewart and the south 100 acres to John Kerr. The south half continued to change hands over the next 20 years. This lot is currently bounded by Bloomington Road on the north. The easterly boundary of Richmond Hill is Hwy #404, which cuts the lots in the 3rd concession approximately in half. Only the west half of the lots in Concession 3, Markham, and Whitchurch fall within the boundaries of Richmond Hill.

Lot 11-3-Markham

The hamlet of Dollar was located partly on this lot, at the northeast corner of Leslie Street and Hwy #7. Dollar has been completely demolished in the last few years to permit road widening. Lot 11-3-Markham was a Crown Reserve. King's College sold the west half of the lot to Stephen Ganton in 1854 and it remained in the Ganton family for many years.

Lot 12-3-Markham

Berczy settler John Langhorst (Laugherst) was granted title to all 200 acres in 1813. The west 50 acres were sold to Catherine Ritter in 1822, while the easterly 50 acres of the west half belonged to William Nichols, who owned the east half. The Ritter family retained their lands until 1892.

Lot 13-3-Markham

Another Berczy settler, John Ulson, patented this lot in 1805. His family continued to farm it throughout the 19th century. By 1851, they were living in an unburnt brick house, and by 1860 the family had changed the spelling of their name to Elson.

Lot 14-3-Markham

The Crown grant was issued to Francis Schmid, one of the Berczy settlers, in 1803. Barnette Vanderburgh purchased the west half in 1817 but sold it immediately to Laurent Quetton St. George. In 1851, the land was sold again, this time to William Sanderson, who built a large 2 storey brick house, set well back from the road. In 1871 the land belonged to William Padget, a tailor. The house was demolished in the 1980s, to clear the land for Beaver Creek Industrial Park.

Lot 15-3-Markham

Lot 15 was a Clergy Reserve which was patented by a member of the Toronto elite, Robert Baldwin, in 1839. He immediately sold the west half to David Leek, and the property remained in the Leek family for several generations.

Lot 16-3-Markham

Berczy settler Charles Henry Vogel (Vogell) was assigned this lot in 1794, and received the patent in 1804. The Baldwin family purchased the west half of this lot in 1804 and sold it to John Large in 1816. However, Large found himself to be in financial difficulty, and sold the property back to the Baldwins in 1819. In 1831 David Leek acquired the west half, turning it over to Daniel Leek in 1847. The early Leek home was built with large round log floor joists, flattened on top to support the floor boards. A much later house was built around the original one. Both were demolished in the 1980s.

Lot 17-3-Markham

This lot was assigned to Peter Ernst, but the patent was granted to William Berczy himself in 1804. Berczy immediately sold the entire 200 acres to the Hon. Angus McDonell. It was not until 1832 that Christian Henricks purchased the farm. Descendants of the Henricks still live in the stone farmhouse that Christian built in 1834.

Lot 18-3-Markham

Lot 18 was assigned to Sophia Tempel and her children. It is quite probable that her husband died during the trek north to the new settlement. Title was granted to Ann Kakmann, possibly a married daughter. In 1806, John and Ann Kakmann sold the whole 200 acres to Isaiah Wilmott, whose family remained on the west half. In 1860, a road ran across the north boundary of the property, dropped south to skirt a millpond and sawmill, and then continued out to the 4th concession.

Lot 19-3-Markham

Although this land was assigned to Henry C. Phillipsen, the title was given to John Gray, one of Berczy's creditors. Isaiah Wilmott bought the west half of this lot, selling it to his son in 1822. Between 1825 and 1854, the parcel was owned by various members of the Toronto establishment, until it was purchased by Frederick Eckardt. Eckardt sold the 100 acres to James Gamble a week later, for £250 more than he paid for it. Gamble sold 1 acre for mill purposes to miller George Squires. The remainder went to Jason Wilmott, who like Eckardt, made a good profit. He sold the parcel seven months after purchasing it, for $1000 more. Presumably it was the presence of the watercourse and millpond that made the property so valuable.

Lot 20-3-Markham

Peter Hoist (Holtby) drew this parcel as one of the Berczy settlers. In 1826 he sold it to Isaiah Wilmott, who sold it to John Burr in 1832. John then sold to Rowland Burr, a millwright, builder, and entrepreneur. Burr built a grist mill, and the hamlet of Headford began to develop along the concession road frontage of Lot 20. During the next few decades, it was a thriving community of tradesmen, with their own store and post office. A small collection of older buildings still identifies the hamlet, located on the east side of Leslie Street, just south of Major Mackenzie Drive.

Lot 21-3-Markham

This lot was another of the Crown Reserves. James Stewart received the patent in 1817, before most of the Crown Reserves were turned over to King's College. Christian Hendricks (Henricks), who purchased the west half in 1821, also owned Lots 22 and 23. The 1860 Tremaine map shows a sawmill on the property, and Hugh Hilts was known to have had a cider factory on a corner of this lot in 1881.

Lot 22-3-Markham

Another Berczy settler, John Boye, settled this lot, receiving title in 1804. He then deeded the west half to James Green, who sold it to Christian Henricks in 1810. The Henricks family remained on the property throughout the 19th century.

Lot 23-3-Markham

Although assigned to Jacob Eber, the title to this lot was granted to William Weekes, Berczy's lawyer. The property passed quickly to William Cooper, Thomas Gough, and Thomas Gray, who sold the west half to Christian Henricks in 1826.

Lot 24-3-Markham

John Dietzman, the Berczy settler assigned the lot in 1794, was known as John Deadman by the time title was granted in 1816. All 200 acres were sold to Emanuel Horner in 1818, with the west half remaining in the Horner family for most of the century. In 1860, there was a sawmill at the south boundary of the lot.

Lot 25-3-Markham

John Heise received the west half of the Clergy Reserve in 1820. When Peter Heise acquired the property in 1842 through his father's will, he built a substantial fieldstone farmhouse just west of the creek. In 1864 he sold to church trustees a quarter-acre parcel on which an Evangelical Church had been built a few years earlier. In 1877, Joseph Gee purchased the farm, and it remained in the Gee family until it was acquired by Toronto Trust Cemeteries.

Lot 26-3-Markham

Spelling was often a problem when papers were being drawn up in the early 1800s. Since Lot 26 was assigned to John Canada, but granted to John Kennedy, one has to wonder just what the correct name was. Shortly afterwards, Jacob Heise purchased all 200 acres and by 1851 was living in a two storey hewn log house. The 1860 Tremaine map shows a school for School Section #4, Markham, at the southwest corner of the property.

Lot 27-3-Markham

John Arnold received this grant as part of the many acres given to him for military service. Christian Heise purchased the entire lot, but in 1867 Magdelena Hilts bequeathed the west half to John Hilts.

Lot 28-3-Markham

Yet another Crown Reserve, the east half of the west half was deeded to John McCague in 1859. In 1851, McCague was already living on the property in a shanty, presumably as a tenant. The 1860 Tremaine map shows William McCague on the west portion of the west half.

Lot 29-3-Markham

Although R. Bentley drew this lot, he sold it to John Baker in 1804, so the patent was issued to Baker. George Baker occupied the west half in 1860. The school for School Section #7, Markham, was already on the southwest corner of the lot in 1878. The area was known at the end of the 19th century as Vinegar Hill.

Lot 30-3-Markham

This lot was first settled by Albright Spring in 1803. By 1807 he had the Crown grant for the whole 200 acres. In 1867, carpenter Frederick Nigh purchased the farm and sold the westerly 50 acres to his son Elias. In 1875, another son, John, was living on the easterly portion of the west half. Sadie Irene Canning, granddaughter of Elias Nigh, inherited the property in 1950.

Lot 31-3-Markham

Lot 31 was a Clergy Reserve, purchased by William Nigh in 1853. William was another son of Frederick. William and his wife Mary Teal raised seven children on this homestead. Descendants of the Nighs still occupy a portion of this lot.

Lot 32-3-Markham

Frederick Hendrick settled this land in 1801, but sold it to John Grateman. Robert Marsh, and then George Forrester, purchased the west half. In 1851, Forrester was living in a log house which is thought to still be occupied on the property.

Lot 33-3-Markham

In 1804 Abraham Vanhorne was granted the entire 200 acres, which he sold to Christian Heise in the same year. In 1860 John Heise, Jr., was on the west half of the lot. By 1875 Samuel Heise owned the northwest quarter and Daniel Heise owned the southwest quarter.

Lot 34-3-Markham

As a Crown Reserve this lot was sold by King's College in 1833 to Jacob Shirk (Shirrick). In 1851, Jacob Shirk was living in a 2 storey frame house. In 1868 Shirrick granted the northwest quarter to Robert Leary and the southwest quarter to James Cosgrove. Henry Wice bought Cosgrove's parcel but defaulted on his mortgage with David Boyle, who sold the west 25 acres to Levi Hoover and the easterly portion to Samuel Heise.

Lot 35-3-Markham

John Kendrick drew the lot, but sold it to Jacob Mueller, who received the patent as Jacob Miller. Miller sold all 200 acres to John Doner in 1807. In 1867 John Doner, Jr., sold 90 acres of the west half to Peter Doner, who eventually sold smaller lots along the sideroad (Stouffville Road) as the hamlet of New Gormley developed, following the opening of the railway.

Lot 1-3-Whitchurch

In 1797 Baron Frederick de Hoen received title to this lot as part of over 3000 acres for military service. De Hoen sold the land to Joseph Heise in 1805, following which it was sold to John Doner and then to Samuel Baker. By 1860, John Heise owned an L-shaped parcel of 34 acres along the 3rd concession (Leslie Street). Christian Baker owned the rest of the west half, and part of the east half.

Lot 2-3-Whitchurch

King's College sold the west half of this former Crown Reserve to Samuel Baker in 1847. Baker sold it to Joseph Schell in 1866. After deeding 14 acres to William Giles, Schell sold the remaining 86 acres of the west half to Abraham and Rebecca Heise. Until the 1980s members of the Heise family lived in the house that Reuben Heise built in 1880s.

Lot 3-3-Whitchurch

In 1796 John Stegmann was assigned this lot plus Lots 4, 6, 7, 9 and the south half of 10 for military service, receiving title in 1801. John Burkholder purchased Lot 3 in 1828 and sold the west half to Christian Hoover in 1840. The property was passed down through the Hoover family, except for 8 acres in the southwest corner, purchased by Abraham and Reuben Heise in 1885.

Lot 4-3-Whitchurch

John Stegmann sold this 200 acres to Casper Shirk in 1820. It remained in the Shirk family until Adam Shirk sold the westerly 66 23 acres to John Watson, who deeded it to William Bell in 1872.

Lot 5-3-Whitchurch

In 1841 James Lloyd received title to this former Clergy Reserve. Various members of the Lloyd family held the property until at least 1888. In 1860, there was a blacksmith shop on the sideroad (Bethesda Road) just east of the 3rd concession (Leslie Street).

Lot 6-3-Whitchurch

John Stegmann sold Lot 6 to Casper Shirk in 1820, as he had Lot 4. The property remained as a 200 acre parcel as it passed to Simeon Tiell in 1833, to Michael Baker in 1851, and to Peter Baker in 1866. The following year Michael Baker et al. and Peter Baker were involved with the Court of Chancery in a dispute over title.

Lot 7-3-Whitchurch

Portions of the north half of Stegmann's lot were sold to John Cummings in 1823, and to Moses Climinghawk in 1828. Cummings sold his parcel to Alexander McDonell in 1824. By 1856 Christopher Smith owned the entire 200 acres.

Lot 8-3-Whitchurch

This lot was a Crown Reserve which the Canada Company sold to Andrew Clubine in 1830. After passing to Garret Lloyd in 1831, then to Richard Machell in 1837, the entire 200 acres was purchased by John E. Alleyne a few months later. It remained in the Alleyne family for the rest of the 19th century.

Lot 9-3-Whitchurch

Lot 9 was yet another of John Stegmann's holdings. It was sold to John Cummings in 1823. It changed hands several times, from Cummings to McDonell, to Thomas McCausland, to Samuel Baker, to Samuel Siddons. The west half remained in the Siddons family until 1869, when it was sold to John Smith. Ten years later it was sold to John Forrester. In 1888, Forrester bequeathed the property to Thomas Forrester.

Lot 10-3-Whitchurch

The south half of this lot was also part of John Stegmann's assignment, for which he received the patent in 1801. The north half was granted to James E. Small. The south part was sold to Cummings and McDonell, then to Robert Stanton in 1834. A year later Stanton sold to John Nigh, who also bought the north half. Nigh then deeded the easterly 60 acres of the west half to William Scott and 40 acres to Henry Pointon. Pointon later acquired Scott's 60 acres, giving him the whole of the west half. Through John and William Scott, John Forrester acquired the west half by 1886.

Historical Street Names

The Town of Richmond Hill has chosen to remember its early citizens through the use of their names for streets, parks, and schools. The origin of the street names gives a brief history of many of our former residents.

Arnold Crescent

John R. Arnold acquired Lot 46, Concession 1, Vaughan, though his wife, Elizabeth Miles, who had inherited the property from her brother James. Originally, Arnold Street ran only as far west as Elizabeth Street, but in the late 1940s it was extended, curving south to intersect with Major Mackenzie Drive. This extension was called Arnold Crescent. Many years later the easterly portion was renamed so that the entire street became Arnold Crescent.

Atkinson Street

William Atkinson was a prominent Yonge Street dry goods merchant from 1864 until he retired in 1893.

Baker Avenue

George Baker was owner of the North American Cement Block and Tile Company in New Gormley from about 1905. In 1913 he purchased a block of lots for development in Roseview Gardens. Baker Avenue was opened in October 1914.

Bedford Park Avenue

The Bedford Park Floral Company purchased land for greenhouses in 1919. The property was south of Crosby Avenue, from Crosby Hall to the CN railway.

Bernard Avenue

Hiram G. Bernard owned 228 acres on the east side of Yonge Street, north of Elgin Mills, from 1842. His son Hiram Alonzo carried on the farm until about 1888. His son John Goodwin operated a general store at Elgin Mills between 1866 and 1872.

Bethesda Sideroad

The sideroad leading to Bethesda, a hamlet at the intersection of the 4th concession and the sideroad between Lots 5 and 6, Whitchurch.

Bingham Street

Robert Bingham ran the Elgin House Tavern on the west side of Yonge Street just north of Elgin Mills Road, from about 1847 to 1854. His large brick hotel had accommodation for 50 horses and 50 men.

Bond Crescent

William Bond received the patent for 200 acres around Bond Lake in 1798. Although he sold the property in 1801, the lake has continued to carry his name to the present day.

Bostwick Crescent

J. Albert Bostwick owned the farm at the southeast corner of Yonge Street and King Road from 1876.

Boyle Drive

David Boyle owned farms on both sides of Yonge Street at Langstaff from 1893. He served as Langstaff postmaster from 1902 to 1924. In 1914 the City of Toronto expropriated his home on the east side of Yonge, to serve as the residence for the Governor of the Jail Farm. David Boyle's son Morgan continued to farm the west side until it was subdivided in the 1950s.

Bridgeford Street

Colonel David Bridgeford was a resident of Richmond Hill from 1797 to his death in 1862. At various times he was a soldier, innkeeper, Vaughan councillor, and coroner.

Brillinger Street

There have been many Brillingers in the Richmond Hill area from early times. The two most prominent were Jacob, who was a member of Richmond Hill's first council, and Benjamin, who owned the Royal Hotel from 1883 to 1895.

Brookside Drive

Brookside was the name of the farm of Francis Boyd on the west side of Yonge Street, north of Elgin Mills Road. Many prominent residents of early Toronto were entertained there. The road was opened in 1911, having been surveyed, coincidentally, by a civil engineer by the name of Mr. Brook.

Clarissa Drive

Clarissa was a daughter of Richard Vanderburgh, whose farm lane later became Hillsview Drive. The westerly portion was renamed Clarissa in 1988.

Carrville Road

The sideroad between Lots 40 and 41, Vaughan, leading to the hamlet of Carrville, located between Bathurst and Dufferin streets.

Chip Court

Leonard Street was once known as Chip Street because of the cooperage located there. The earlier name was revived when the land north of Elgin Mills Road was subdivided in the 1980s.

Cooperage Crescent

Named for the cooperage located on Leonard Street in the mid-nineteenth century.

Crosby Avenue

Parker Crosby was a prominent general store merchant in Richmond Hill from 1855 until his son Isaac took over in 1868. His home, Crosby Hall, built in 1863, is a landmark in Richmond Hill.

Dexter Road

John Dexter is reputed to have been the first man hanged in York County, in 1814. His house sat at the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Westwood Lane from the early 1800s until 1984.

Don Head Village Boulevard

The road runs through part of the former Don Head Farm, noted for its Jersey herds. It serves as a main collector road for the Don Head Village subdivision.

Duncan Road

William Duncan and family owned Lot 40, Markham, from 1853 to the 20th century. Their house was moved from Yonge Street to the south side of Duncan Road, near Bayview, in the early 1960s.

Elgin Mills Road

Named for the mills at the intersection of Yonge Street and the sideroad between Lots 50 and 51. The hamlet of Elgin Mills existed from the beginning of the 19th century, but would have received its name with the arrival of Lord Elgin as Governor General in 1847.

Elizabeth Street

Elizabeth's father, Leonard Klinck, owned the property on the west side of Elizabeth St, between Centre and Richmond, from 1848 to 1852. Elizabeth married Abraham Law, first reeve of Richmond Hill.

Fulton Way

Captain James Fulton settled on Lot 43, Markham, in 1805. He became the first Justice of the Peace for the Richmond Hill area.

Gaby Court

There were a number of Gabys in Richmond Hill. Joseph was a hotelkeeper from 1857 to 1862. Frederick had a home on Richmond St. from 1860 until his death in 1880. His son Levi later purchased the family property.

Gamble Road

The Gamble family were prominent throughout the York area. Moses, William, and Nathaniel owned Lots 55 and 56, Markham, during much of the 19th century.

Glenada Court

This is one of the newer streets within the Ada Mackenzie subdivision. Ada Mackenzie was Canada's top female golfer through the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s.

Gormley Court, Gormley Road East, Gormley Road West

When the Stouffville Road bypass was built in the 1980s, the roads within Gormley were renamed after the hamlet, which had its origins with the coming of the railway through the area in 1905. James Gormley had been first postmaster at Old Gormley from 1854.

Hall Street

Henry Hall was a wheelwright and wagonmaker at the corner of Wright and Hall Streets from 1860 to 1869. He also manufactured agricultural implements.

Harding Boulevard

George Harding owned the farm on Lot 44, Markham, from 1875. Harding Avenue runs through the north part of the farm.

Hart Street

John Hart's farm included parts of Lots 58 and 59, Vaughan, fronting on Bathurst. He purchased the properties in 1845 and 1856. On retirement, he moved into a house in the village, now known as 10239 Yonge Street.

Headford Drive

The hamlet of Headford began to take shape with the building of the mill in the 1830s, and by the 1850s it had become the home of a number of tradesmen. The name comes from a ford near the headwaters of the stream which crosses Major Mackenzie Drive, just east of Leslie Street.

Henricks Crescent

Christian Henrick's descendants still live in the stone house he built on Lot 18, Concession 3, Markham, in 1834.

Hiram Road

See Bernard Avenue.

Hopkins Street

David Hopkins served on the first Richmond Hill council in 1873. He operated a grocery store at the southwest corner of Yonge and Wright Streets.

Hume Gate

Alex Hume was the village's clerk-treasurer from 1905 to 1941. He was a tailor by trade, and choir- and band-master by choice. His home is on the east side of Yonge Street opposite Richmond Street.

Innis Crescent

This is an incorrect spelling of the Innes family's name. The Innes Mills operated south of the millpond from 1886 to 1927. John L. Innes designed the Richmond Hill Public School (McConaghy Centre), and built many houses in the village during the 1910s.

Jefferson Sideroad

Jonathan Jefferson owned 35 acres on Lot 59, Vaughan, from 1840. The Jefferson store and post office building was located there until the 1920s.

Jenkins Drive

The Reverend William Jenkins was the first Presbyterian minister in Richmond Hill, holding his first service under the trees in 1817. He retired to his farm in 1843.

Kerswell Drive

The Kerswells were an Elgin Mills family, with James Kerswell first locating on Lot 51, Markham, in 1872. Some of his descendants still reside in Richmond Hill.

King Road

The sideroad between Lots 65 and 66, running through the township of King, to King City.

Kinnear Court

Thomas Kinnear was one of our earliest settlers in the village, being assigned Lot 48, Markham, in 1794, and granted his patent in 1796. He later moved farther north, but was murdered by his hired man in 1843.

Langstaff Sideroad

John Langstaff settled on the northeast corner of Yonge Street and the sideroad between Lots 35 and 36, in 1808. The road and the hamlet which sprang up at the corner still bear his name.

Larratt Lane

Captain Larratt Smith built his country residence, Twickenham Farm, on the west side of Yonge Street, just north of Elgin Mills, in 1835. He was a well known member of the upper classes residing at York. His son's journal was published as "Young Mr. Smith in Upper Canada" in 1980.

Law Crescent

Abraham Law was first reeve of the village in 1873. He lived in Richmond Hill from 1826 until his death in 1885. His home was at the north corner of Yonge and Richmond Streets, until it was demolished in 1952.

Lawrence Avenue

William J. Lawrence began the rose-growing industry in Richmond Hill in 1912. He later subdivided his lands and created Roseview Gardens. His own home is located at the southeast corner of Roseview and Lawrence Avenues.

Leek Crescent

The Leeks first came to the area in the 1830s, settling on the 2nd and 3rd concessions of Markham, north of Highway #7. The first Methodist church at Headford was known as Leek's Chapel.

Lippincott Court

Richard Lippincott was a Loyalist soldier who took up land on Yonge Street, first in Vaughan in 1799, then in Markham in 1800. He later sold the Markham farm to James Fulton.

Lorne Avenue

Named for the Marquis of Lorne, Governor-General of Canada from 1878 to 1883. Lorne Avenue was opened in 1882.

Loyal Blue Crescent

The Loyal True Blue and Orange Home was built in 1923 as a residence for children in need of temporary care. It was a joint venture of two Lodges, the Loyal True Blue and the Orange Lodges.

Lynett Crescent

Named for Russell (Curly) Lynett, clerk-treasurer from 1942 to 1967, and clerk from 1968 to 1973. However, the Lynett name is an old one in Richmond Hill, with Nicholas Lynett settling on Lot 23, Concession 2, Markham, in 1850. The name is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable.

Major Mackenzie Drive

Named for Major Alexander (Lex) MacKenzie, great-great-grandson of the Arctic explorer, Alexander MacKenzie. Lex's claim to fame was that he never made a single speech in the Ontario Legislature in all the time he served there, from 1945 to 1967. The street name is incorrectly spelled with a lower case "k."

Marsh Street

Robert Marsh purchased Lots 42 and 43, Markham, in 1815 and 1802 respectively. Alexander Marsh built the house now used by the David Dunlap Observatory as the Director's residence.

Mary Gapper Crescent

There were two Mary Gappers. The best known came to Canada in 1828, to join her brothers, Richard Colston and William Southby. She later married Edward O'Brien and moved to Shanty Bay. Her diaries were published in 1968 as " The Journals of Mary O'Brien." The other Mary Gapper was William's wife.

Miles Court

Abner Miles was Richmond Hill's first storekeeper and manufacturer, with a shop and ashery at the intersection of Yonge Street and Major Mackenzie Drive. He received the patent for his 1and in 1803. He also ran a small inn in connection with his shop, making him the first Richmond Hill innkeeper.

Mill Pond Court

The millpond on the north side of Mill Street has been there since before 1848. The water from the pond supplied power to sawmills, iron foundries, lumber mills, and a grist mill. The pond also served as swimming hole, drinking water reservoir, and ice rink.

Moodie Drive

Colonel Robert Moodie lost his life in a daring attempt to ride into Toronto to warn of an attack by William Lyon Mackenzie's forces, during the Rebellion of 1837.

Naughton Drive

The Naughton family came to Richmond Hill about 1850 and settled at Elgin Mills. The sons later operated a cooperage, and then a general store at Elgin Mills for 36 years.

Nineteenth Avenue

The sideroads were numbered consecutively northward, but some have acquired more descriptive names. Nineteenth Avenue, west of Yonge Street, is known as Gamble Road.

Old Markham Road

Major Mackenzie Drive, east of Yonge Street, was formerly Markham Road. Originally it jogged at Bayview Avenue. When the jog was removed a small section of the old road remained east of Bayview.

Palmer Avenue

This road runs along the south boundary of the farm which had been in the Palmer family from 1853 to the 20th century. John Palmer, Jr., served on Richmond Hill council from 1892 to 1897, and again from 1909 to 1913.

Powell Street

William Powell was a member of Richmond Hill's first Council. His farm was south of Mill Street and west of the millpond.

Pugsley Avenue

William H. Pugsley, a Richmond Hill butcher, was reeve of the village from 1885 to 1896 and again from 1907 to 1918. The home he built in 1914 is located at 18 Arnold Crescent.

Reaman Street

George Reaman's Richmond Street property was subdivided in 1928 by the Ajax Realty Company. The new street was to have been named Forest Avenue but was named for the former property owner instead. Reaman's son G. Elmore Reaman was a noted educator and author of "A History of Vaughan Township." The name is pronounced "ray-man."

Reditt Court

This is a mis-spelling of Benjamin Redditt's name. Benjamin was a member of Richmond Hill council from 1878 to 1882 and from 1885 to 1887.

Reid Street

Dr. Asa Reid was one of Richmond Hill's first medical men, purchasing Lot 49, Markham, in 1820. He also owned a village lot on the east side of Yonge Street north of Centre, where William Reid had a cabinetry shop from about 1845 to 1857.

Richmond Street

One of the earliest streets in the village, Richmond Street started as a narrow laneway to David Bridgeford's property west of Bridgeford Street. The name obviously relates to the name of the town.

Rumble Avenue

The Rumbles were a prominent farming family in Vaughan Township. James Rumble's farm stretched from Benson Avenue where his house sat, north and west to include Rumble Avenue and Rumble's pond at Bathurst and Mill Streets. The property was sold for subdividing in 1922.

Sanderson Crescent

Henry Sanderson operated a farrier's shop at the southeast corner of Yonge Street and Centre Street East from 1848. He was later joined by his sons, John Henry, a veterinarian, and William A., a druggist.

Schomberg Road

Schomberg Road follows the line of the Schomberg and Aurora Railway, which started in 1902, connecting Schomberg and towns along the route with the radial railway on Yonge Street. Service stopped in 1928.

Scott Drive

William D. Scott purchased Lot 39, Vaughan, about 1900 and built a large brick home near Yonge Street. His son Robert continued to farm the property until about 1950 when the land was subdivided. The old farm lane became Scott Drive.

Shaw Boulevard

Hugh Shaw took out the patent on Lot 46, Markham, in 1802. His son James was responsible for subdividing the Yonge Street frontage, which led to the development of the village as we think of it today.

Sims Crescent

John Sims was a blacksmith in the village from about 1870 to 1905. His son Frank later ran a grocery store on Yonge Street just north of Lorne Ave.

Sixteenth Avenue

See Nineteenth Avenue. Sixteenth Avenue conveniently runs between Lots 15 and 16, giving a handy reference point for locating the sideroads by their number.

Snively Street

Colonel Schuyler Snively purchased the Quetton St. George estage, Glen Lonely, on Lake St. George, about 1920. An esteemed resident of the Lake Wilcox area, he allowed community groups to picnic on his grounds, upon request.

Springbrook Drive

The Russell farm, on what was later to become the Jail Farm property, was known as Spring-brook Farm. The large patterned brick farmhouse is being retained, although the property is being subdivided for industrial use.

Stave Crescent

See Cooperage Crescent. Barrel staves were cut and shaped by the coopers to form the barrels.

Steepleview Crescent

Named in recognition of Richmond Hill's famous skyline of church steeples.

Stockdale Crescent

Thomas Stockdale was a tailor in the village from about 1859 to 1882. He had a shop on the east side of Yonge, south of Dunlop Street.

Stouffville Road

The sideroad leading from Yonge Street to Stouffville. For many years it was known as the Gormley Road.

Tannery Court

Gideon Hislop operated a tannery and sawmill on the watercourse which crosses Elgin Mills Road, just east of Bathurst Street.

Teefy Avenue

Matthew Teefy was the village postmaster from 1850 to 1911, and clerk-treasurer from 1873 to 1904. He also ran a general store, took an active part in the life of the village, and was an amateur archivist.

Tennison Road

William and Esther Tennison [Tennyson, Tenison] owned 30 acres on Bathurst, between Highway #7 and Carrville Road, from 1844 to at least 1888.

Tollbar Crescent

Tollbars, or more commonly tollgates, were used on Yonge Street from the mid-19th century, to raise funds for maintenance of the highway. In Richmond Hill they were located at Langstaff and near Gamble Road.

Trench Street

The Trench family have been in the Richmond Hill area since 1853. William Trench, Jr., owned the Trench Carriage Works. He was reeve of the village when Trench Street was opened in 1875.

Vogell Road

Charles Henry Vogell was a Berczy settler who took out his patent on Lot 16, Concession 3, Markham, in 1804.

Waterhouse Way

John Waterhouse ran a general store in Richmond Hill in the 1860s. He was first located at Elgin Mills, then moved to the village in 1866. Shortly afterwards, a major fire on Yonge Street destroyed 3 shops, including that of Mr. Waterhouse. Five months later, he moved to Maple.

Weldrick Road

George Weldrick was an early 19th century farmer, living just north of Highway #7. Weldrick Road was known as Mill Road for many years, since it led to several mills on the watercourse between Yonge Street and Bathurst Street.

Wood Lane

Originally a lane leading to John Wood's property north of Mill Street.

Wright Street

Amos Wright was the first reeve of Markham Township, Member of the Provincial Parliament for 16 years, then Member of Parliament for West York after Confederation. He left political life to become the Dominion Auditor and Indian agent at Port Arthur. In the 1860s he owned the property at the millpond, with access to Yonge Street along Mill and Wright Streets.

Yonge Street

Named by Governor Simcoe for Sir George Yonge, Secretary of State for War in the British Parliament.


Previous    Next

Copyright © Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991