Search:
[To search all databases, click here]
Table of Contents

Title Page
Author's Preface
1 The Road through Richmond Hill
2 First Peoples on the Land
3 The European Settlers Arrive
4 From Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill: The Birth of a Community
5 Tories and Reformers
6 Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
7 The Neighbours at Mid-Century
8 Fire Brigades and Fence Viewers
9 Picture Post Card Village of the 1880s and 1890s
10 Rails through Richmond Hill
11 The Flowering of Richmond Hill
12 The Village Transformed
Epilogue
Appendices
Table of Illustrations
Index
Drynoch, the residence of Captain Martin Macleod, west of Yonge Street and north of Jefferson Sideroad. Macleod built the home in 1846, named it after his home estate in Scotland, and made it the headquarters of his vast 600-acre (about 240-hectare) Canadian farming operation. One of his sons, Colonel James Macleod, achieved fame with the North-West Mounted Police and came to be regarded as a founding father of southern Alberta.
Return to Text


Copyright Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991