Search:
[To search all databases, click here]
Appendices
Table of Contents

Title Page
Author's Preface
1 The Road through Richmond Hill
2 First Peoples on the Land
3 The European Settlers Arrive
4 From Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill: The Birth of a Community
5 Tories and Reformers
6 Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
7 The Neighbours at Mid-Century
8 Fire Brigades and Fence Viewers
9 Picture Post Card Village of the 1880s and 1890s
10 Rails through Richmond Hill
11 The Flowering of Richmond Hill
12 The Village Transformed
Epilogue
Appendices
Appendix A. Settlers
Appendix B. Occupations*
Appendix C. The Clergy
Appendix D. The Schools
Appendix E. Post Offices and Postmasters
Appendix F. Community Organizations
Table of Illustrations
Index

Appendix D. The Schools

Richmond Hill Public School (Common School)

The first formal school in Richmond Hill, the Common School, was organized under Benjamin Barnard in 1816. No complete records have been found to identify the teachers who followed Barnard after 1821, but from about 1851 the records are fairly reliable.

The Headmaster taught on his own until 1861 when he was joined by a female assistant. In fact, only two women served as headmaster/principal up until 1930: Miss E. A. Spragge from 1888 to 1894, and Miss Mary Duncan, substituting in September 1897 and April 1898 for J. W. Forhan.

The school population continued to grow, so that by 1873, two assistants were required, and in 1879 a third was taken on. About 1880 to 1882 the School Board attempted to keep expenses down by cutting back to two assistants but finally acknowledged the need for a third in 1883.

For nearly a decade between 1915 and 1924 there was a continual turnover of staff mid-year, but under principal Walter Scott a more stable core group of teachers was established. The backbone of this group of teachers was Mrs. M. L. McConaghy, who first joined the staff in 1906. Mrs. Mary Wiley had given a similar stability to the teaching staff from 1878 to 1905.

Headmasters/Principals/Senior Teachers

Date Name
1816 - c1821 Barnard, Benjamin
c1831 Burns, A.
c1851 Edmund, Reverend
c1851 Clarke, William
c1854 - c1857 Pollock, William
c1858 - c1859 McNaughton, Duncan
c1860 - 1864 Bannister, Charles
c1865 - 1868 Porter, G. H.
1868 - 1871 Gray, R. A.
1871 McLean, Allan
1872 - 1875 Switzer, J. A. E.
1875 - 1879 Bracken, James
1880 - 1882 McMahon, T. F.
1884 - 1888 Spragge, Miss E. A.
1888 - 1894 Clubine, John
1895 - 1897 Kirkpatrick, Frank H.
1895 Coombs, George R. (substituting for Kirkpatrick)
1897 (September) Duncan, Miss Mary
1897 - 1899 Forhan, J. W.
1898 (April) Duncan, Miss Mary (substituting for Forhan)
1899 - 1900 MacDonald, Neil S.
1901 Conlin, O. W.
1902 Trench, Wye
1903 Currie, D.
1903 - 1911 Lamon, Thomas A.
1911 - 1919 Lehman, A. E.
1919 - 1920 Thorpe, E. H.
1920 - 1922 Varden, E. T. "Dolly"
1922 - 1923 Watson, James R.
1923 - Harper, David
1924 - 1930 Scott, Walter

Assistants/Teachers

Date Name
1861 - 1864 Robinson, Miss
1865 - 1866 Oates, Miss Isabella A.
1867 - 1871 Sinclair, Miss
1871 - 1872 Turnbull, Miss Margaret
1873 - 1874 Turnbull, Miss Margaret
Bracken, James
1875 Bracken, James
McMurchie, Miss
1876 Gregory, Daniel
McMurchie, Miss
1877 McMurchie, Miss
Lawson, Miss E.
1878 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Seager, Miss Lucy
1879 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Coulter, Miss A. (January-July)
Miller, Miss L. (September-December)
1880 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Miller, Miss
Marsh, Miss L. (September-December)
1881 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Marsh, Miss L.
Lawrence, Mr. A. G. F. (January-July)
1882 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Marsh, Miss L.
1883 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Hamilton, Miss
Williams, Miss
1884 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Rutherford, Miss T.
Cruikshank, Miss J.
1885 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Rutherford, Miss T.
Cruikshank, Miss J. (January-September)
McLaughlan, Miss Annie (October-December)
1886- 1887 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Rutherford, Miss T.
McLaughlan, Miss Annie
1888 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Rutherford, Miss T.
Newton, Miss Elizabeth
1889 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Waters, Miss
Newton, Miss Elizabeth
1890 - 1893 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Newton, Miss Elizabeth
1894 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Newton, Miss Elizabeth (January-June)
Trench, Miss Mary (July-December)
1895- 1899 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Trench, Miss Mary
1900 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Dobie, Miss Sara (January-March)
Keith, Miss (April-December)
1901 - 1903 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Keith, Miss
1904 - 1905 Wiley, Mrs. Mary
Scanlon, Miss
1906 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Scanlon, Miss
1907 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Scanlon, Miss (January-August)
Trench, Miss Mary (September-December)
1908 - 1914 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Trench, Miss Mary
1915 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Trench, Miss Mary
Holmes, Miss E. M.
Garrison, Mrs. E. W. (October-December)
1916 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Trench, Miss Mary
Holmes, Miss E. M. (January-June)
Aikenhead, Miss Gertrude (July-December)
Garrison, Mrs. E. W.
1917 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Trench, Miss Mary
Aikenhead, Miss Gertrude (January-March)
Smale, Miss (April-December)
Garrison, Mrs. E. W.
1918 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Trench, Miss Mary (January-April)
Finlay, Miss (May-December)
Smale, Miss (January-March)
Cameron, Miss M. S. (April-December)
Blackburn, Miss (January-June)
Morrison, Miss (July-December)
1919 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Finlay, Miss (January-April)
Boyd, Miss B.R.M. (May-December)
Cameron, Miss M. S.
Herridge, Miss (January-August)
Fleming, Miss Jessie (September-December)
Pratt, Miss M. Grace (October-December)
1920 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Boyd, Miss B. R. M. (January-June)
Clark, Miss Emily
Cameron, Miss M. S. (January-June)
Douglas, Miss Hazel (July-December)
Kneeshaw, Miss L. I. (January-June)
Fralick, Miss M. (July-December)
Pratt, Miss M. Grace (January-June)
1921 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
White, Miss Gertie (March-December)
Clark, Miss Emily
Anderson, Miss Mabel
Fralick, Miss M. (January-June)
Burns, Miss Kathleen (July-December)
1922 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
White, Miss Gertie (January-February)
Marritt, Miss Joy (March-December)
Clark, Miss Emily
Anderson, Miss Mabel
Burns, Miss Kathleen
1923 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Marritt, Miss Joy
Richardson, Miss F. E.
Anderson, Miss Mabel
Clark, Miss Emily (January-August)
McManus, Miss C. (September-December)
Brown, Miss F. M.
Finch, Miss Alice (January-August)
Wellwood, Miss E. P. (September-December)
1924 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Marritt, Miss Joy
McManus, Miss C.
Wellwood, Miss E. P.
Welsh, Miss
Brown, Miss F. M.
Richardson, Miss F. E.
1925 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Marritt, Miss Joy
Martin, Miss
Welsh, Miss
Brown, Miss F. M.
Richardson, Mrs F. E.
1926 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Scott, Mrs.
Martin, Miss (January-August)
Mortley, Miss Lavina (September-December)
Brown, Miss F. M.
Richardson, Miss F. E.
Fox, Miss B. M.
1927 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Webb, Miss R. A.
Mortley, Miss Lavina
Brown, Miss F. M.
Richardson, Miss F. E.
Fox, Miss B. M.
1928 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Webb, Miss R. A.
Mortley, Miss Lavina (January-July)
Corner, Miss Alice (August-December)
Brown, Miss F. M.
Richardson, Miss F. E.
Fox, Miss B. M.
1929 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Webb, Miss R. A.
Corner, Miss Alice
Brown, Miss F. M. (January-August)
Collings, Miss Bernice (September-December)
Reesor, Miss E. M.
Richardson, Miss F. E.
1930 McConaghy, Mrs. M. L.
Webb, Miss R. A.
Corner, Miss Alice
Collings, Miss Bernice (January-February)
Unger, Mrs. (March-December)
Reesor, Miss E. M.
Richardson, Miss F. E.

Richmond Hill High School (Grammar School)

Richmond Hill High School (Grammar School) was first established beside the Common School in 1853 under William Clark. By 1869, Headmaster A. M. Lafferty required an assistant. Except for a brief period in 1883 and 1884, the headmaster and his assistant managed to meet the needs of the senior students until 1903.

In 1873 a new high school was built in front of the Common School. This high school burned down, however, on December 23, 1896, and was subsequently re-built in 1897 on the property at the corner of Yonge and Wright Streets. Increasing enrollment and lack of space in the existing high school in the early 1920s prompted the opening of a new school farther along Wright Street on December 5, 1924.

Headmasters/Principals

Date Name
1852 Clarke, William
1854 - 1859 Boyd, Rev. James
1859 - 1860 Johnson, Rev. Samuel
1860 - 1861 Rodgers, Rev. Robert
1861 - 1862 Verner, Arthur C.
1862 - 1864 Evans, L. H.
1865 Dunn, J. M.
1866 Windeat, James (one month)
1866 - 1870 Lafferty, Alfred M.
1871 Jolly, J. W. (nine months)
1871 - 1874 Crozier, James
1875 - 1876 McMurchie, James
1876 - 1881 Carscadden, Thomas
1881 - 1883 McBride, William
1884 - 1887 McBride, John
1887 - 1888 Redditt, T. H.
1888 Kennedy, Mr. (four months)
1889 - 1891 McCuaig, H. M.
1891 - 1892 Monroe, J. A.
1893 - 1895 Robertson, N.
1895 - 1899 Coombs, A. Ernest
1899 - 1903 Farquharson, R. A.
1903 - 1907 Shaw, Robert
1907 - 1908 Henry, T. M.
1908 - 1910 Witherill, E. R.
1910 - 1916 Davidson, J.
1916 - 1918 Jenkins, R. S.
1918 - 1920 Haynes, Mr.
1920 - 1922 Elliott, Thomas E.
1922 - 1930 Stewart, James

Assistants/Teachers

Date First Assistant Second Assistant
1869 - 1874 Slater, Mr.
1874 Moserirt, Miss
1875 Robertson, Mr.
1876 - 1878 McKay, Miss Myra
1878 - 1882 Palmer, Miss L. F.
1882 Kerr, Mr. (2 months)
Elliott, Mr.
1883 Watson, Mr. (4 months)
McBride, Mrs. (2 months)
Burns, Mr. Langstaff, Ernest (1 month)
1884 Redditt, T. H. Kirkland, Mrs. (6 months)
Langstaff, Ernest (4 months)
1885 - 1886 Redditt, T. H.
1887 Lent, Mr. (4 months)
1887 - 1892 Innes, R. A.
1892 Robertson, N.
1893 - 1895 McLean, Alexander
1895 - 1897 Brown, W. E.
1898 Haviland, H. J. (3 months)
1898 - 1900 Johnson, F. J.
1900 Anderson, G. R. (6 months)
1900 - 1901 Johnson, F. J.
1901 - 1902 Glass, W. A.
1902 - 1903 Shaw, Robert Bell, Winnifred
1904 - 1905 Andrews, R. T. Bell, Winnifred
1905 - 1906 Andrews, R. T. Preston, Miss
1906 - 1907 Morden, Frances Edwards, Miss M.
1907 - 1908 Lemon, Miss Edwards, Miss M.
1908 - 1910 Graeb, Miss Mabel
1910 - 1911 Fraser, Miss Lucilla Jackson, Miss Anna
1911 - 1912 Fraser, Lucilla Carpenter, Miss Ida
1913 - 1914 Bell, J. A. Carpenter, Miss Ida
1914 - 1916 Stewart, James A. Douglas, Miss Leila
1916 - 1917 Stewart, James A. Stinson, Miss M.
1917 Stewart, James A. Adams, Miss
1918 - 1920 Park, Miss Clark, Miss
1920 Morgan, Miss (4 months) Stanley, Miss Pauline
1921 - 1925 Collins, W. A. Stanley, Miss Pauline

Other teachers known to be teaching between 1921 and 1930:

1921 Johnston, Miss Kay, Miss
1923 Cole, Mr.
1924 - 1930 Izzard, Miss Edna
1925 - 1926 McCullough, Miss Janet
1927 Hume, A. G. McLennan, Mabel
1928 Sinclair, M. (replacing Hume)
1928 - 1929 Dengate, Miss
1928 - 1930 Sutton, Miss
1930 McEachern, Mr. Jones, Miss
Reesor, Miss

Jefferson School

The northern area of the community was primarily served by Jefferson Common School, a joint school section serving Markham and Vaughan. It was a one-room, one-teacher school from the 1840s to the 1940s when space at St. Johns Anglican Church was required to accomodate all the students. The first school house, built of logs, was on the west side of Yonge Street just north of Gamble Road. In 1868, a brick school was built across the road. Names of the teachers from the 1840s to 1861 are largely unknown.

Date Name
1840s Smith, John
Foster, George
Unknown Denton, Judge
1861 Miller, James
1871 Tupper, Florence
1874 Bracken, James
1876- 1878 McMahon, Thomas F.
1880 Gamble, Joseph
1883 - 1884 Beynon, George M.
Tyndall, J. E. (supplying)
1884 - 1888 Rutherford, J. C.
1889 - 1890 Bracken, Fred
1890 Ewers, George A.
1891 Robertson, G.
1892 - 1893 Mortson, Victoria (to June 1893)
1893 Legge, Jessie
1896- 1898 Miller, Miss
1898 - 1902 Saigeon, H. J. (to June 1902)
1902 - 1903 MacDonald, Donald D. (to Feb. 1903)
1903 Legge, Miss Emily (March)
McCallum, Miss Lila (May)
Oliver, Ernest (April and June)
1903 - 1905 Legge, Miss Ethel
1905 - 1909 Robertson, Miss Margaret
1909 McLennon, D. (September-October)
Steele, G. (November-December)
1910 Munroe, R. W. (January-June)
Taulty, Miss Theresa (September-December)
1911- 1919 Brown, Miss F. M.
1920 Wood, K. A. (to June 1920)
1920 - 1922 Cooper, Mary (to June 1922)
1922 Hames, Miss Alfreda (September-December)
1923 Corbett, Miss Hazel (January-June)
1923 - 1924 Rankin, K. S. (to June 1924)
1924 - 1925 Dorey, Miss Eleanor (to April 1925)
1925 Hunter, M. (May & June)
1925 - 1929 Haggerty, Bernice (to July 1929)
1929 - 1930 Collings, K. M. (to July 1930)
1930 Perry, Miss Catherine

Headford School

The southeast corner of Richmond Hill was served by the Headford School on Lot 17, Concession 2, Markham. This also was a one-room, one-teacher school, and like Jefferson, the first school was replaced by a larger one. The new Headford School was of scissor-truss frame, built in 1874, and similar in construction to the German Mills School in Markham.

The early teachers at Headford have still not been identified.

Date Name
1851 Aikins, William
1857 McKinnon, Angus
1861 Duffy, Thomas W.
1885 McConaghy, F.
1890 Ferguson, John
1891 - 1893 Williams, Angus (to July 1893)
1893 - 1900 Osborne, Miss Ella
1901 Foster, Miss Lavina
1902 Harper, Phillip
1903 - 1904 Byam, Miss Emma (to July 1904)
1904 - 1905 Dalton, Miss (to July 1905)
1905 - 1906 Harris, Miss E. G.
1907 - 1908 Porter, Miss M. L.
1909 - 1913 Smith, Miss Hazel (to July 1913)
1913 - 1916 Fortune, Miss E. E.
1917 - 1918 Jeffs, Miss Kathleen
1919 - 1921 Vanderburgh, Miss Mary (to July 1921)
1921 - 1925 Hislop, Miss Hannah (to July 1925)
1925 - 1927 Montgomery, Miss R. Irene
1928 - 1929 Kirkpatrick, Miss E. M.
1930 Savage, Miss Lucy

School Section #4 Markham

School Section #4 Markham was located at the southwest corner of Lot 26, Concession 3, Markham (i.e., the northeast corner of Elgin Mills Road and the current Leslie Street), and accommodated children from the northeast part of Richmond Hill. It is believed to have been moved to be used as a farm building on Lot 25, Concession 3, and was demolished in 1990. Early records are sparse.

Date Name
1851 Arnold, James or Hare, Joseph
1861 Landy, James
1891 Henricks, Alison
1901 - 1902 Harrison, Fred W.
1904 Humphreys, Mr. (to July 1904)
1905 - 1908 Nicols, Louis L.
1914 - 1916 Hazen, C. S.
1917 - 1920 McGarity, Miss Eleanor
1921 Johnson, A. F.
1922 Allen, Miss Charlotte
1926- 1927 Caswell, E. A.
1928 Brown, J. W.

Temperanceville and Oak Ridges Schools

Even more sparse are the records for Temperanceville and Oak Ridges schools. Confusion is increased by the occasional reference to Jefferson School as the school at Oak Ridges.

We do know that the Love family sold 1/4 acre to the trustees of School Section #21 at Temperanceville in 1857. In 1879, a new school was built, and in the 20th century it was raised on a high basement, and brick-clad. The 1879 belfry remained on the school, however, until the building was demolished in the late 1980s.

Also in 1857, the Hon. Robert Baldwin granted a small parcel on Yonge Street to school trustees. This parcel was enlarged when Thomas Legge sold a further 1/4 acre to the Trustees of Union School Section #1 in 1874. The current Oak Ridges School was built in 1914.

Only a few names and dates have come to light.

Date School Name
1881 Oak Ridges Ansley, Fred
1882 Oak Ridges Potter, Mr.
1889 - 1890 Temperanceville Gillies, Mr. A.
1892 Temperanceville McKenzie, A. F.
1903 - 1904 Unknown Jennings, E. W.
1918 Oak Ridges Trench, Miss Mary
1928 Oak Ridges Mortson, Miss

For more information, please consult the local historical collection at the Central Branch of the Richmond Hill Public Library.

 


Previous    Next

Copyright Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991