Richmond Hill, on
Leslie Street just
Drive, the settlement of
Headford Mills, owed its
mid-century prosperity to mill sites rather than
travellers. Here, along a headwater tributary of the
|Headford in 1860,
adapted by Janet Allin from a map prepared by Ruth Reaman.
Rouge River, were a
variety of mills and tradesmen's shops and a general store. A
Episcopal Church was dedicated in 1850 and a
established in 1856.
|The search for oil at
Headford even witnessed an
outbreak of oil fever in the 1860s. Drilling began on
John Burr's land, gas
kept bubbling up, but no commercially viable oil was ever extracted. By the
early twentieth century, as small mills proved uneconomical,
Headford declined and
eventually died as a recognizable community.
Methodist Church, built in 1882, pictured before lightning destroyed its
steeple on August 24, 1914.
Methodist Church, built in 1882, pictured after the lightning
Even less recognizable today is
Dollar, two sideroads south
Leslie Street and
Highway 7. There in the
second half of the nineteenth century,
Dollar boasted a store,
blacksmith shop and church; today
Dollar is lost amid the
business establishments and industrial parks of late-twentieth-century southern
Brooke on the front porch of the
Office, July 1, 1907.
|The ladies serve supper at
Headford, June 15,
Copyright © Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991