Search:
[To search all databases, click here]
Chapter 6
Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
Table of Contents

Title Page
Author's Preface
1 The Road through Richmond Hill
2 First Peoples on the Land
3 The European Settlers Arrive
4 From Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill: The Birth of a Community
5 Tories and Reformers
6 Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
The Village at Mid-Century
Harmony and Good Feeling: A Sunday School Picnic at the Richmond Hill Methodist Church, June 17, 1857
The Kinnear Murder Case
Hospitality on the Hill
Yonge Street By Stagecoach
Toll-Gates and Macadam Surfaces
Yonge Street on Foot and by Wagon
The "Oats, Straw and Hay" Railway
7 The Neighbours at Mid-Century
8 Fire Brigades and Fence Viewers
9 Picture Post Card Village of the 1880s and 1890s
10 Rails through Richmond Hill
11 The Flowering of Richmond Hill
12 The Village Transformed
Epilogue
Appendices
Table of Illustrations
Index

The Kinnear Murder Case

Calling card of Thomas Kinnear, victim of Richmond Hill's most celebrated murder case in July 1843.
Thomas Kinnear was a gentleman farmer who lived on Yonge Street north of Richmond Hill village. A journalist of the time wrote that Kinnear was possessed of "considerable means" and that he lived a life of "careless ease and self-indulgence" with his housekeeper, Nancy Montgomery, a very attractive woman. Although this common-law relationship prevented Tom and Nancy from being part of the local social circle, they lived quite happily by themselves, and with their maid and manservant.

Then on July 18, 1843, Kinnear and Montgomery were killed by the jealous manservant in what was widely regarded as Upper Canada's most notorious murder case.

Tom and Nancy were subsequently buried in the Richmond Hill Presbyterian Cemetery - but in the far southwest or "Potter's Field" section, some distance from the community's more respected citizens. Nancy's body lies at Kinnear's feet in the only grave in the entire cemetery that lies along a north-south line.

 

Previous    Next

Copyright Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991