Carrville,Patterson, and Temperanceville
West of Richmond Hill, along or to the west of today's Bathurst Street, lay yet another cluster of mid-nineteenth-century rural hamlets. The southernmost of these, Carrville, stretched west from Bathurst along Rutherford Road, lying mostly outside the present boundaries of Richmond Hill, though close enough to have a continuing relationship with the town.
One concession road north of Carrville, on today's Major Mackenzie Drive, and also to the west of Bathurst Street, stood the community of Patterson. This hamlet grew around an agricultural implement factory established by Peter Patterson and his brothers Alfred and Robert in 1855. To accompany this manufacturing enterprise, Patterson Brothers established their own "company town." The community of Patterson - sometimes referred to as the "The Patch" by many local residents - included some twenty-five cottages for married employees, a boarding house for single workers, and a population of about two hundred people by 1871. There was a Methodist Church and a post office, and a school was established in 1872.
Further north at Bathurst Street and King Road stood yet another neighbouring hamlet - Love's Corners, named for the Love family. But moderation triumped over passion, and the settlement was renamed Temperanceville for the growing nineteeenth-century temperance campaign to limit or stop the sale and consumption of alcohol. This reform movement grew stronger with each passing decade, and would eventually cripple much of Richmond Hill's hotel business.
Copyright © Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991