Search:
[To search all databases, click here]
1900s
Table of Contents

Title Page
Introduction
1860s and earlier
1870s
1880s
Wright family photo albums, 1860-1900
1890s
1900s
Places
People
Events
1910s
1920s
1930s
Photos circa 1900 to 1940
1940s
Index

Places

Picture post card village. Photograph taken from the tower of the Presbyterian Church, circa 1900, looking north up Yonge Street, with the spire of the Methodist Church in the centre.
Yonge Street looking north from Major Mackenzie Drive.
Looking south on Yonge St. from the spire of the Presbyterian Church. This photo pre-dates the barn-raising on the Palmer farm documented in the Events section for the 1900s. Photo taken by Jerry Smith, circa 1900.
Car 71 of the Metropolitan Railway, southbound through Richmond Hill, with the Trench Carriage Works on the left or east side of Yonge Street.
Boarding Metropolitan Car 56 at the Richmond Hill station,Yonge Street and Lorne Avenue.
Northbound on Yonge from the intersection of Arnold Crescent and Lorne Avenue.
Looking north from the corner of Dunlop Street, along the east side of Yonge Street, from the Richmond Hill bakery to beyond St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church.
Looking south on Yonge Street from just south of Dunlop Street, c.1900.
The Canadian Northern (later Canadian National) Railway station at Richmond Hill.
First freight at the new Richmond Hill station in November 1906 - a load of coal and lumber
Another view of the first freight car of commercial coal unloaded at the new Richmond Hill station in November 1906. On the left is CNR agent Fred Graham. On the right is William Ransom and second from the right is John Sheardown.
The blacksmith shop owned by George Cowie from 1903-1926. Pictured left to right are: George Cowie; an unidentified man and dog; James G. Hunt, an apprentice who later took over the blacksmith shop; Jim Cowie; Marjorie Atkinson; and Agatha Cowie.
The Naughton Brothers,Michael and John, operated their general store on the southwest corner at Elgin Mills from around 1870 to 1919. The Post Office was housed in the store from 1900 onwards.
The New Elgin Hotel at Elgin Mills
F. J. Woodward's blacksmith shop at Elgin Mills, with the Glass butcher wagon on the right.
Metropolitan Railway (later the Toronto and York Radial Railway Company) power house at Bond Lake.
Entrance to Bond Lake Park.
A boat on Bond Lake in the early 1900s. John Chatterley charged 5 for a ride once around the lake.
Bond Lake Power Station, completed August 1899. c.1900.
The fly-wheels, which were 18 feet in diameter, at the Bond Lake Power Station. c.1900.
Employees in the Bond Lake Power Station, c.1900.

Schomberg and Aurora Railway station at Oak Ridges.
"Gormley Station from the South," showing the business and industrial centre of New Gormley early in the twentieth century. Buildings include, from left to right, blacksmith shop, David and Jacob Heise's double house, driveshed, railway station, North American Cement Block and Tile Company office (in background), and grain elevator.
Cober's store in New Gormley.

Home built by Richard Gapper on the east side of Yonge Street near today's 16th Avenue, later occupied by the William Duncan family.
Home of John Savage and later of Archie Savage (wife Hattie Judge) at Lot 25, conc. 2, rear, Vaughan (after the renovation by J.L. Innes around 1900)
Highland Cottage,86 Major Mackenzie Drive, dating from the 1840s.
Crosby Hall, home of the Parker and Mary (Holmes) Crosby family, at 38 Bedford Park Avenue. The original frame structure of 1863 was brick-clad by their son Isaac in about 1889. This photograph was taken circa 1900.
The Jacob Eyer house, built c.1866. The stone bake oven is on the right side. Also in view is the windmill.
Another view of the Jacob Eyer house. This photo was taken from the windmill.
The old Moodie house on Lot 49 circa 1900.
The old Moodie house on Lot 49 circa 1900.
The David Bridgeford house at 210 Richmond St. in 1906.
The Newbery house on Yonge Street, Lot 53 N around 1909. The house was purchased by John Newbery in 1858 and at this time was owned by George Newbery Jr. He and his wife Clara are likely the people on the lawn.
Richmond Hill Public School, opened in 1847, pictured in a 1908 photograph.
Richmond Hill High School built in 1897 at the corner of Yonge and Wright Streets. c. 1900.
Richmond Hill High School built in 1897 at the corner of Yonge and Wright Streets. c. 1900.
Richmond Hill Methodist Church,c.1900
St. Mary's Anglican Church, c.1900
Mr. George Sims repairing the pinnacle on the Presbyterian Church. The old Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church Manse is visible in the foreground. Photo taken in 1909.
Mr. George Sims repairing the pinnacle on the Presbyterian Church (detail of previous photo)
A postcard of the Presbyterian Church with a post-mark of 1907 on the reverse.
The boiler from the foundry in Richmond Hill.
The Innes Mill circa 1900. The sawmill was originally built by John Langstaff c.1847 on the south side of the Mill Pond. It was sold to Leslie Innes in 1889, burnt in a fire in 1894 and then rebuilt.

 


Previous    Next

This electronic finding aid to the local historical photos of Richmond Hill is provided courtesy of the Richmond Hill Public Library.