Appendix E. Post Offices and Postmasters
The first post office in Richmond Hill was established in 1836, under James Sinclair, who had a store on the east side of Yonge Street, just north of the current Lorne Avenue. In 1844 it was moved to Wallington's store on the west side of Yonge Street, a building which was later to become the Falconbridge store, and still later, the Rustic Inn. Teefy's Post Office was just north of the Richmond Hill Public School (McConaghy Centre) while Savage's was one building north of Centre Street on the west side of Yonge Street.
Locations of the Oak Ridges post offices are not so well identified. Alex McKechanie owned land at the north end of the community. Frederick Suttle had a hotel in Oak Ridges, as did Edward Curtis. The "Cause of Vacancy" after George Harber is listed as "change of site." The Routledges had a blacksmith shop on the west side of Yonge Street.
The first post office at Headford, a settlement on the east side of Richmond Hill on present day Leslie Street just south of Major Mackenzie Drive, opened in 1856. It was situated in a number of general stores throughout its history. The post office closed in 1914 when rural mail delivery was initiated.
Dollar was located at the intersection of the current Highway #7 and Leslie Street, primarily on Lots 11, Concessions 2 and 3, Markham. The post office was in the general store on the northwest corner. This post office also closed when rural mail delivery was introduced.
John Langstaff was first postmaster at Langstaff. His post office was located on the west side of Yonge Street just south of the current Highway #7, in his general store. When Henry Horne was appointed postmaster in 1888, he moved the post office to his own shop just north of the intersection.
Following the destruction of Horne's store by fire, the post office was located temporarily in a variety of buildings near the corner. In 1912, David Boyle moved the post office to the northwest corner of Langstaff.
Little is known about the buildings at Temperanceville other than the church. For a time, at least, the post office was in the store at Temperanceville, on the south side of the King Sideroad, just west of the current Bathurst Street.
The first Jefferson post office opened August 1, 1882, on Lot 59, Concession 1, Vaughan, just south of Harris Avenue. In the 1920s the post office was moved south to Lot 56, to the building now known as 11666 Yonge Street, after a brief period in the house immediately to the south.
The last post office to be opened, before 1930, within the current boundaries of Richmond Hill was at Elgin Mills. Although the community dated to mid-century, it was not until 1900 that a post office was granted. The post office was in Naughton's General Store on the southwest corner of Elgin Mills and Yonge Street, and remained there until the 1930s.
Copyright © Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991