Like many other pioneer congregations, the Primitive Methodists of Carrville began meeting in local homes prior to the erection of the church. In 1850, a frame church was erected on a lot on the northeast corner of Carrville Road and Bathurst Street. Less than ten years later, the congregation required a larger building. Fortunately, this was made possible by the generosity of parishioner Thomas Cook, a mill owner who had emigrated from England in 1833. Cook not only provided the land and funds for the building, but boarded the men employed to construct it.
The church, then referred to as Cook's Mills Primitive Methodist
Church, was a simple structure built using homemade bricks produced in the
area. The windows are gracefully arched but not ornately glazed.
More recent additions include a Sunday School room and a kitchen on the north end of the church. The name of the church became Carrville Methodist Church with the Methodist church union in 1884, and Carrville United Church in 1925 when the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches merged.
To browse through the cemetery, click here.